The glamourous life of a doctor's wife

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The past two weeks have been Slappy and my first real glimpse of the lives of doctors and their wives.

The first week was, at least for me, pretty uneventful. Slappy was not on call and he had a 3 day weekend (4th of July). Basically he had a 9 to 5 job, er, maybe 7 to 3 and perhaps it was a little more involved than the typical 9 to 5. But still, not anything that would seem outlandish.

And then we began pager call. And I say we because pager call is not an individual event. Frankly, the sound it make is practically a zip code event.

While on pager call, Slappy does not actually go to the hospital, he just calls in and orders treatments or tests or things. Because he's in the newborn nursery, any real emergency matters are handled by the NICU and for the most part, we are in jaundice hell.

His pager shrieks at decibels that make my brain quiver and some nights it goes off once (or that one night, not at all) and some times it goes off like 5 or 6 times. Never close together, always like an hour apart, that way you have time to go back to sleep. And every time he has to get up, read the information and at least call and give orders. At worse, call, get information, do some research, call back and give orders. It's a circus.

But dude, all that aside, pager call is HOT. Because whenever he gets paged he has to call in and deal with the problem. And when he calls, he identifies himself. And everytime I hear him say "Hi, this is Dr. McBigbrain" I get weak in the knees.

I'm not sure why. I mean, I knew it would be his name, but dude, be still my heart. And I'm sure that the novelty of this will wear off in a few years when the pager sings its shrill song at 3 in the morning and all I want to do is sleep, but for now, well, be still my heart.

And the other night? Just as his pager went off, he put a dirty dish in the dishwasher. I swear I don't think I was ever more in love with him than I was in that moment.

The quickest route to a woman's heart is through the dishwasher, and apparently, being in a position of authority.

All I can say is, rawr.

7 comments:

Amanda S. said...

ah, the lovely call nights :)

enjoy those "Hi this is Dr. McBigbrain" moments, ESPECIALLY the ones that include multi-tasking such as the dishwasher loading!!

take care, and have a wonderful week!!

Sue G said...

I'm always happy when you're happy.

Thought you should know. :-)

Lanny said...

Seriously laughing over here! It still gets me when Army says, "Hi, this is Dr. Army." Nothing to do with the doctor part--for me it's the grown up part. I. Married. A. Grown-up! Forget that it happened 10+ years ago and that we're now in our *cough*30s*cough* it still gets me every single time.

And those middle of the night pages? Just wait until he learns to sleep through them and you have to nudge him over and over to answer the damn thing. Fun times.

Marysienka said...

haha! Funny to see it from your side. I named my pager "The Object Of Torture".
He is lucky to do home calls. Here there's no way they can do it in peds... Even seniors sleep at the hospital (because they're OCD like that).
Anyway! I'm glad you're a happy girl!!

Ren.

The Floydster said...

Great post!

justlori2day said...

Um yeah - my husband needs to change professions. I got chills thinking about how fucking cool that has to be. For now. Until the novelty wears off. But by then the big paychecks will roll in and you will beg for late night calls!

columbiacitygirl said...

After I stopped giggling I thought, well, Katie is now Mrs. Dr. McBigbrain. Which made me think of the Brady Bunch where Marcia is daydreaming about being Mrs. Marcia Dentist....now I can't stop laughing.

Good times.