Follow up

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I want to thank you all for the comments and emails in support of what I shared last night. I wasn't even sure I was going to say it until the words came out of my fingertips.

Please know, for those who feel that I am rushing the decision, that no action is being taken immediately. I will continue to go to Temple on Fridays and once we settle at one here in California, I will sign up for adult education classes and learn more about the religion I believe I want to commit myself to. I will not go into this haphazardly, I will not go without careful thought. But I will follow my heart, my head and what I feel God's plans are for me.

I realize that some of you are surprised, some disappointed. I am very sorry for that. The thing is, while I love all of your support, in a competition between my faith and your support, my faith must always come first. Support is wonderful, but a life without faith and without spiritual well-being, is not worth living. In fact, it's not really living at all.

And so if this is where we part, then I think that's tragic. If you're only reading here because of my Christian upbringing, then you were here for the wrong reason to begin with and perhaps it's time for us to go our separate ways. Know that I hold no resentment, I'm just disappointed that it has to end this way.

Thank you again for all the uplifting and celebratory messages from those who felt they could offer support.

And now the journey begins...

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm not disappointed, Katie, just greatly concerned. One of your friends was incredulous that I could be saying that there is only one way to Heaven. What I say isn't important. What I believe isn't important. What Scripture says, that's all that count. Jesus Himself says that He is the only salvation: John 14:6: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." My confirmation verse speaks directly to the point: Acts 4:12: "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
I will always be praying for you, now more than ever. What I was trying to say, probably very badly, was that if you no longer believe that Jesus is True God and True Man...if you no longer believe that He died on the cross to pay for your sins, but believe that He was just a man (although even the religious leaders of His day KNEW He said He was God), why would you want me praying if you think I'm praying to a man? And since I share New Testament passages as well as Old Testament, they wouldn't have any meaning for you anymore...
I'm just at a loss as to what to do. Will always be praying, but wonder why you'd want me still signing in if the words I'd be sharing wouldn't offer you any comfort any more.

Overflowing Brain said...

Lynn-

I guess the way I look at it is, the more prayers that I can get, no matter who to or who from, the better. Am I going to be offended if you use New Testament passages? Absolutely not. Am I going to ask you to change the way you pray? Absolutely not.

I understand if you feel awkward about commenting, the situation lends itself to that very easily. I appreciate your honesty and I've always appreciated your support.

Sue G said...

I have been "here" since your Caring Bridge days, and here is where I will stay. I came and I stay for the same reasons I always have: your honesty, your intelligence, your humor, your wit, your openness, your foibles, and your "human-ness." Those things don't change when you follow your spiritual heart. They develop and grow.

I am concerned about one thing, though. I can keep poking fun at your MIL, right?

Overflowing Brain said...

Sue-

It is a requirement that you keep making fun of her. 100 percent yes.