The Chronicles of Irony, Chapter 10,004: Bills

Monday, May 4, 2009

Okay, so way back in the fall when my stupid former neurologist decided that all my headaches could be explained by sinus congestion that had existed for more than 10 years, I had to go see an ear, nose and throat doctor to convince her that she was wrong. At the last appointment I had with the ENT, he shoved a tube with a camera up my nose while I was in the office and sent me on my merry way (because ironically, I was not interested in sinus surgery).

In February I got a bill for 200 bucks for that damned scope. The damned scope that I didn't want in the first place. I put off paying it because sometimes my insurance will catch things late, but they never did, so I finally ponied up the dough charged it about a month ago.

Then I received a letter in the mail on Friday from my insurance company. The letter said that my doctor had filed a petition with my insurance company, over a claim and this was my notice that they had rejected the claim. Apparently my doctor did not get pre-authorization for the damned scope, and so I'm consequently responsible for my 500 dollar outpatient surgery deductible.

So, let me just get this straight. Because my doctor did not get pre-authorization for what I did not even know was a billable procedure, I have to pay 500 dollars.

Because someone else did not do something they were supposed to do, I have to pay.

Um, no.

So on Wednesday I have to march down to the billing department at the hospital where the doctor's office is and get this taken care of because dude, I do not have 500 bucks to give to these people. I don't have 500 bucks to give to anyone in the universe right now. And especially not for a nasal scope I DIDN'T WANT OR NEED.

Isn't it amazing how I'm being charged for surgery when I had this scope to decide that I didn't, in fact, want to have surgery? Or that while this whole ENT thing was going on (and also right now) I'd have killed to have a doctor run useful test to figure out what the hell is wrong with my head, but instead we ran a totally unhelpful one that I have to pay for.

I could go on and on.

But instead, I'm going to put on my big girl panties and deal with it. But not right now. Because why do today what you can put off for tomorrow? Or Wednesday?

4 comments:

Dysfunction Junction: said...

Oh the nasal endoscopy. Such a joy. Such a gift. Actually, they blow but tomato/tomahhto.

Incidentally, I am fighting with my former ENT over the fact that they are billing me for a second endoscopy that I never had (and as I'm sure you're aware, they're not something you forget)

I guess what I'm saying is, gurl, I feel you.

the queen said...

I had wondered why my endoscopy Dr. Pitched such a stink over how I HAD to call, and how the insurance would tell me I dont have to be preauthorized, but dont believe them, and write down everyones name. He had just had someone have to pony up 300.

Sue G said...

As a person paying off her $3200 bill for a PET scan, I must tell you what I learned: Pre-certification is not an agreement to pay.

Illuminating info from my insurance company who DID pre-cert the PET scan..

I guess all a pre-cert is is when the person who answers the phone for the insurance company and hears a hospital ask for permission to do the procedure, they say, "Hey, Dude, have at it. You have my blessing."

And MY money, thankyouverymuch.

Can't wait to see what they say about the bone scan I had two weeks ago.

anita said...

okay, next time you go to the ent, go to mine - woody van horn - besides having a great name, he's excellent and he does stuff like that and doesn't end up charging you, since he didn't get pre-authorization. i had another dr try to bill me for that when he didn't do it! got them to take it off the bill, especially when i started screaming about insurance fraud :)
put your dukes and i hope the best (you) girl wins!