A Tragic Dose of Perspective

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I don't know how many of you follow this blog, but Madeline Spohr passed away, very suddenly, last night, just a few days before she reached 17 months of life.

I cannot begin to imagine the pain and suffering that the Spohr family must be going through right now. Today they begin a whole new life, one that will never be the same again. Let us all in this online community come together and offer our thoughts (and prayers if you say them) to the Spohr family. There are no words to help them get over this loss, but maybe the collective support of people across the country or world will.

Maddie's passing has plagued my day. I just can't seem to get her face out of my mind, I keep waiting for someone to tell me that this is a nightmare, or a belated April Fool's joke and this child whose face I've seen in hundreds of pictures and heard numerous stories about is safe in her bed. But she's not, and it shatters my heart to realize that.

I've never met this child, yet I'm moved to tears over the loss of her precious life. It isn't fair and it is devastating to even consider what the Spohrs must be dealing with. It's the most unnatural thing in the world to bury a child and it is, I think, everyone's worst fear.

I know that other bloggers have expressed similar sentiment, but I can't help but almost feel guilty for enjoying my day today. Knowing that 2000 miles away, there is a palpable hole in someone's life. Knowing that Heather and Mike, two people I've never met, are grieving the loss of their daughter, who, in her short 17 months of life has spread so much joy to so many people. The fact that over $10,000 has been raised for the March of Dimes today speaks volumes about the impact that Madeline had on all of us. I'm sure that number will continue to rise in the coming days and weeks. Hopefully her passing will help shine light on this cause and save the lives of others who came after her.

My heart flies out to California, to the Spohrs and to all of us, who feel like today, the world got a little less bright. And that heavens gain was earth's tragic loss.

Rest in peace Madeline.

(If you're moved to do so, the family is raising money for the March of Dimes in Madeline's name and asking for donations in lieu of flowers.)

5 comments:

Sue G said...

Katie:

While Maddie's blog was not one I followed, I skipped over there to learn a little more about her. She obviously captured your heart with her bright eyes, captivating smile, and huge chubby cheeks.

I know how easy it is to start reading a blog or CB site and get emotionally attached to these strangers who become part of our cyber family. So I offer you my sincere condolences for your loss, as well as the heartbreak to Maddie's family and friends.

I will never understand why children have to die, why their lives are so brief when their promise of life is so expected, so natural. Such potential lost for lack of time.

My only consolation in times like this is that God has a plan and His plan is perfect. I have reconciled myself to the fact that I may never understand His plan, so I try to find peace in my faith that He knows what He's doing.

May you find peace and comfort in a way that is perfect for you.

Daisy Duke said...

Sue G summed it up rather well.

Tiffany said...

I, too, was so moved by this family- and the overwhelming response of the twitter/blog world.

I can't wrap my brain around what they are going through right now and have spent all day sending them all the peace, comfort and strength I've got.

T

Lynn said...

I follow so many sites and along with that goes losing so many of them. The count is up to almost 100 lost now...and the vast majority of them were children. It's hard to understand but the Lord knows all the "whys". We have to leave it in His Hands.
Praying!
Psalms 28:6-7 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Lynn said...

This is very long but on this day of all days it's worth reading in it's entirety. Know that I'm always praying!
Isaiah 53:1-12 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Prayer Bears
My email address