Home

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Aside from my birthday and Mother's Day, today is the last holiday I will spend 2000 miles from my family.

It is the last time I will feel a little sad and melancholy that I'm not there, with my parents, siblings, and 20 first cousins (not an exaggeration), because I don't have the time or 350 dollars it costs to get there.

Last night we celebrated pesach without Slappy's family, today we celebrate Easter without mine.

I cannot even begin to tell you the happiness I find from seeing that in exactly 50 days, we'll be on our way home. No, we're not moving to the exact location where either of our family resides, which honestly, is likely to be better for both of us. We'll be a solid 45 minutes from his parents, 30 from his sister, 30 from my sister and about 2.5 hours from my family.

2.5 hours. I will spend less time in the car on a trip to see my family than I would in a plane today. I can bake my (now 3 month old!) cousin's first birthday cake, just like I did for his brother and sister before him. I won't have to miss my mom's birthday (this Tuesday), mother's day and other days I should be with them. I can simply get in my car and go.

Slappy can see his nearly 18 month old niece more often than twice a year. We won't have to rely on skype not to be completely forgotten by her. His mother can cook Chanukah dinner during the actual days on Chanukah instead of whatever weekend in that month we happen to be around.

In 50 days we get to start over. We get to move, to a place of our own, to our new lives, to our future.

We get to move home.

6 comments:

Jess said...

I know the feeling. I'm a born and bred Northern California girl, but we're living in Chicago right now so my husband can finish up his PhD. It sucks beyond all measure to be so far away from our families, especially in times of crisis or during the happy times you know you should be sharing.

There is a slim chance that we'll be moving back to California when my husband is done, but that depends on if he is going post-doc or what positions are offered to him here. I've grown to love Chicago, but I wouldn't be sad to say goodbye to the city if it meant going back home.

Sue G said...

I am really, really, really, really happy for you, knowing that in fifty days you will be moving home. And, because I am such a good friend, I promise to remind you--you know, when you are packing, schlepping, unpacking, schlepping--how happy you were to be going home again. Really, I am THAT good a friend.

But, if you have some ruby red slippers, it will be so much easier.

Becs said...

I'm really happy for you. Encourage your friends and relatives to reproduce! It sucks to be alone on the holidays.

Anonymous said...

And New Orleans will miss you too.

Claire in TX

SITS Girls said...

We were just talking about how happy we will be to you and Slappy back HOME.

People here love you long time.

Flea said...

I can't even tell you how happy and excited I am for you. :D Congratulations, Katie!