Here and now...finally

Sunday, April 19, 2009

So, Friday morning, I awoke at 4:30 in the morning (I set 5 alarms, woke up after the first and then spent 15 minutes trying to turn off the rest of them), showered and drove myself to the airport. I arrived a scant 45 minutes before my flight, breezed through security and waited for boarding.

I got in line, got up to the front, and my ticket would not scan. Like, everyone else's ticket made this cute little "boo doop" sound, and mine made the beeping equivalent of a scowl. Not. happy.

So I went to the customer service desk and guess what? I had actually bought a ticket for THURSDAY morning. And of course, missing your flight is FREE. Oh wait, no, not it's not. It's freaking expensive.

After I bought myself onto the plane, we took off. We arrived in Dallas, deplaned and waited to board. Unbeknownst to me, my next flight had a stop in San Antonio, so the flight would only be an hour long. We boarded (a completely fully flight by the way...) and then sat on the tarmack for 30 minutes. Apparently the front bathroom was broken. The back two were fully functional, however, the front one was not. So someone from SWA (the man next to me made so many terrible SWAT jokes while this was going on, I nearly tried to paper cut myself to death) came and stared at it kind of aimlessly for about 20 minutes, and then we took off. I have no idea if that bathroom ever worked, but we left Dallas at least a solid 30 minutes late.

Normally, you can make up some of this time in the air, however, if there's a big storm front coming through and you're 30 minutes later than you're supposed to be, you might arrive in the middle of the storm, and instead, fly around in circles in turbulence for an hour. Then, when it's finally clear to land, it might be so turbulent that people start vomiting all over (DUDE, what is with people vomiting all near me on flights?).

Those of us connecting, stayed on the (vomit) plane, other passengers got off and new ones got on. Another completely full flight. And we pulled out to the runway and waited. And waited and waited. The storm was ugly. And the captain came on a few times to let us know that we'd leave as soon as we could. And the flight attendants all sat in the back and completely ignored the full plane of people. Did we get peanuts? No. Did we get beverages? No. We got bored.

And then, there was a glorious break in the storm and the pilot announced that we were going to try and make a break for it. We cheered. And then he came on 2 minutes later and said we'd missed it. And then this same drill happened about 5 more times over the span of the next HOUR. It was great. Finally we took off and had an uneventful flight. Only, you know, THREE HOURS LATE.

Which meant Slappy and I totally missed an appointment we had, we sat in traffic for over 3 hours to get to where we needed to go and by the time we got there, everything was closed. It was legendary. It was like Murphy's Law of flying. One of my coworkers suggested that I get back on the plane and head right home. But I just kind of felt like there were only so many things that could go wrong on an airplane before the next thing was a big crater in the earth.

So now I'm Los Angeles. And I'll tell you all about it.

Later.

3 comments:

Sue G said...

Wow. You had the flight I always dream of...in my nightmares. But you arrived safely, and that's what counts.

You haven't mentioned your headache in a while, so I am wondering if perhaps it is a bit better, even gone? I can't imagine all that you went through yesterday getting to LA, especially with a headache.

Tiffany said...

So basically, your subconscious knew you should have gone on Thursday.

Flea said...

Oh ew. But nowhere do you talk about being in tormenting pain. Right?