Yet another health break

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

(First, let me say that the 13th comment, well, all of the comments, but especially the 13th comment on the post from Sunday was amazing. Congratulations to you, Lolo. I don't know anything about you except that you made a really REALLY amazing decision today. And for that, I applaud you.)

So after I got the news from the neurologist that the brain nugget was in fact brain plaque, I informed the neurologist that I still needed to be seen because while the Neurontin worked for about 2 solid weeks once back in November/December, it hasn't done a fricking lick of good since then. He said he'd have his office call me to schedule an appointment.

Yesterday afternoon I received the RUDEST voicemail from his receptionist letting me know that this was the 4th time she had called and she had left several messages and she THOUGHT I wanted to be seen in the near future.

Y'all need to be impressed with me for not driving over there and screaming at her. It helps that she's like a 70 year old woman, but nevertheless, RUDE.

So I called her back and let her know that if she'd called me 4 times, it certainly wasn't the right number and that I had received zero of those messages.

Come to find out, she had called my home line first, which, while at work I obviously don't answer. Then she called my work number, which I also don't answer while working and then she called my cell phone. All within a 10 minute time span. Which is, you know, totally the same thing as calling me 4 times.

And so I explained that while I taught I couldn't so much carry on phone conversations and she basically ignored me and told me they had an opening for Tuesday morning at 9 due to a last minute cancellation and I snapped it right up.

The doctor saw me this morning and reaffirmed that the nugget/plaque whatever it is, is perfectly fine, but obviously I shouldn't be taking 1800 mg of Neurontin a day if it's not working. But also, he has no idea why I'm having headaches. Which is apparently the mystery of the century. So, anyways, I'm weaning off the Neurontin now, over the course of 4 weeks, and then picking up a drug called Pamelor.

It's a really old mood stabilizer which has been shown to prevent headaches. I'm not wild about being on this class of drugs (especially since I've just in the past week or so decided that I'm going to wean off the Xanax because I don't want to be on it anymore...), and I have a notoriously negative history of side effects with them, but according to the doctor Slappy is working with, it's been shown to be really effective. So I'll try it.

And perhaps a little mood stabilizing wouldn't be the end of the world.

Shut. it.

So now we wean, then we start something different. And I'm not going to tell you about the rest of the day because that is one MONSTER rant that will have to wait for another time. Frankly, I'm afraid if I type it out now, I might swear so much I'd drive half of you away.

And accidentally prove that a mood stabilizer is actually a pretty great idea.

5 comments:

Sue G said...

Katie, this has absolutely nothing to do with the journal entry you just posted. Thought I would mention that up front.

I'm writing because, as you know, I have a special place in my heart for children experiencing pediatric cancer. I know that your husband, Dr. Slappy, has signed up to raise money for pediatric cancer via St. Baldrick's. In fact, he is going to shave his head if he reaches his monetary goal! I think that might be more interesting to me if I had a clue what he looks like, but....

I just looked on his pledge page and notice that he is very close to his goal, but still has a tad to go. The pledge ends on the 18th of this month, and I would like to ask everyone who loves you and your writing to consider making a donation to this worthy cause.

(Feel free to tell me that I am pushy. It's in my DNA.)

Thanks.

Janet and Josh said...

Hey Katie-

I just started a new medication called "Midrin" for my headaches and it seems to be working fairly well. Maybe it's a drug you could try!

laura said...

Katie,
Thank you for mentioning me on your blog today. I am the 13th person to post a comment to your Sunday entry. I had just texted my husband telling him that this no smokin thing is tough when I read what you wrote I got past that urge for a cigarette real fast.
I am a fellow chiarian. You can find me at loloschiari.blogspot.com
Best wishes to you,
Lolo

justlori2day said...

For the plaque - maybe you need to brush more.

Ok, its not funny. I tried to make you laugh. Didn't work.

Maybe another mood altering drug would do you some good!

Bwa to the Ha! to the Ha! Ha!

I jest sweet lady, really I do! But if you find that it works well, can you get Slappy to write me a script?

I moved my email for Slappy's fundraiser, and I just so happen to have a little green this week that needs a home (read LITTLE). Can you email me again: gatorsb8@embarqmail.com

GL with the new meds and please, dont kill grandma - impatient or not, she is the key to getting appts!

justlori2day said...

tap-tap, is this thing on?

Hoping all is well - but don't post just because I am asking!!