Toxicity

Friday, March 13, 2009

So, I'm not sure if you'll remember, but back in July I took a soul-sucking chemistry class 4 nights a week for 3 hours a night to try and get it over with. And you may not remember, but the professor was God-awful. And I really mean it. Really, really, really awful.

I did not, however, take the lab component of the class, which is just one of the 5 ways I ended up in science lab night class hell this semester. But that's neither here nor there. What is here and there is that I switched schools. That chemistry class and all my other post-bac classes had been at a fairly decent local university but this semester I'm at the WORST place of "higher" education in town and I'm taking 5 labs and an online class (envy me).

So you can imagine the sheer shock of watching my professor from this summer at the old university, walk into my lab at the new crappy college. The new instructor. And of course she recognized me. OF COURSE. (Though she did call me Amy, which is starting to be disconcerting because that's what they call me at work. Was I supposed to be an Amy?)

As it turns out, she absolutely as horrible as a lab professor as she was as a regular course prof. Who could possibly imagined? (Hint: the answer is anyone she's ever come across!)

Last night we had to do a freezing point experiment where we put a chemical in a test tube, put that in a freezing water bath and measured the temperature at regular intervals until it froze. So she got the chemical and we started. Simple enough, yes?. After 6 minutes of trying to freeze the substance, everyone was stuck at 2 degrees Celsius, but the solution hadn't frozen at all.

We asked her for help and she told us to keep going, it would surely freeze soon.

And so we did.

After 10 minutes, someone kindly pointed out that we were trying to freeze the wrong substance. And granted, it was only one letter different, but you are a TEACHER, you'd think you'd take the time to find the right chemical? I mean really, reading is just not that tough of a skill to master. And this chemical we were trying to freeze? Has a freezing temperature of -120 degrees. I swear, she'd have made us hold it in the damn freezing water bath until next week too.

After I finished my lab, I asked what lab we'd be doing next week and I kid you not, the woman didn't know. So she let me choose. Apparently the concept of a syllabus is totally lost on her. And the idea of PLANNING is a mystery. Wrapped in an enigma.

Do you know what's really weird? Somehow, someway, next week? We're doing the shortest lab in the manual.

Coincidence? You bet your ass.

4 comments:

Flea said...

Yay Katie! Way to pick 'em!

justlori2day said...

Love it when the student knows more then the teacher!

OY!

I see there will be some changes happening along about Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Hi


Mansour Engineering provides the right experience and knowledge to manage any project from preliminary layout through to completion.

[url=http://www.mansour.ca] click here to go to Mansour Engineering[/url]


http://www.mansour.ca

Anonymous said...

Hello all


http://www.BuySellDirect.net 100% free service is your overwhelming choice. It will opened a new world to you to make money at home. It is like having improved ebay FREE.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net 100% free service is all you need to make real money on the internet.