A SUPER AWESOME SLAPPYLICIOUS POST

Sunday, March 22, 2009

(By Slappy, in case that wasn't evident)

So I’m not so sure if a heartfelt thanks and a picture of my mug is that terrific of a surprise, but that is what you get.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank the readers of this blog, from the bottom of my heart, for all the support they gave me in my St. Baldrick’s fundraiser.

Through primarily this group of great people, I managed to raise $750 for pediatric cancer research. I have never been a part of a fundraiser before, have never asked anybody for donations for any effort before, but I thought this was a terrific cause that I could not look away from. All that the St. Baldrick’s foundation asked of me was my hair.

I had it easy.

But donating my hair had absolutely nothing to do with the quest to extend a child’s life and happiness. My part was simple, but yours was the more challenging. You had to give up your money. And in a time where money is more and more an extension of one’s happiness, and in a time when money is more and more scarce, you selflessly donated to enrich the lives of others, to give others the chance to be happy.

And it goes without saying, but it’s not just the children who are affected by cancer, but parents, and families, and friends, and their doctors, too.

So, although I cannot show you a picture of a kid cured because of the advancements in medical science made possible by your donations, I can show you my effort to act in solidarity with those undergoing cancer treatment. And my act is solely a physical reflection of your incredible acts of kindness.

So again, from the depths of everything I hold dear, I say thank you.

Slappy.


And now the pictures. (The captions are all crafted by his less profound but far wittier wife...)

The Official Shirt
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Before:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(The bruise is courtesy of me solidly kicking his ass at racquetball 2 times the previous weekend. It's all about the diving...)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

During:
(Has anyone ever looked happier to be shaving their head?)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(ahahahahahaha)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(Having a Shamrock spray painted onto his head. Only she used too much spray and instead he looked a little like his head was molding...)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pretty good looking fella, huh?

Thanks to all. Slappy said it better than I ever could, but we are both enormously grateful for all of your support.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, good looking hubby, there, katie! Congrats on your successful fundraising.

Anna in IL

Pontchartrain Pete said...

Medical District on Alert for Escaped Criminal


New Orleans police department spokesman Bob Young said a white supremacist who had been taken into custody earlier this afternoon had overpowered the arresting office and escaped in the vicinity of Tulane Medical School.


Authorities feared the escapee had intermingled with delirious medical students who had collectively shaved their heads as a misguided charitable gesture.


Young said, "This suspect is dangerous, and we are concerned he may make his getaway because although he is a verified skinhead, he has an unusual interest in, and knowledge of, pediatric neurology; is, in fact, Jewish, and lacks any distinguishing tattoos or marks normally sported by skinheads. I'm afraid he may just blend in with the crowd and possibly be invited to one of the students' homes. If that's the case, God help those poor souls."


If anyone has information or suspects the escaped skinhead is in their midst, please do not hesitate to contact the authorities.

Slappy said...

That's right he's considered dangerous. Because he just got back from the gunshow. Whapam!

Sue G said...

Katie, he looks SOOOO young! Fresh faced and bald as a baby.

Thanks, Slappy, for your efforts (to sit and be shorn) and Katie (to do all the work). Pediatric cancer is near and dear to my heart and one day, because of efforts like this, there will be an end to this disease.

Matzo balls---er, kudos--to you both!

blathering said...

Good thing you have a regular shaped head!

Glad I could help you make your fund raising goal. Don't forget to wear a hat in the sun, until you hair grows out!

Ashley said...

You guys are the cutest ever!!

Congrats on the fundraising, well done, and for an excellent cause (I'm a childhood cancer survivor)

And Congrats on the match to California! Must be exciting to know you're going to be so much closer to home soon!!!

justlori2day said...

You guys rock!

Thats all I got that hasn't yet been said!

Dysfunction Junction said...

Fuzzy bald heads are the best!!! That was not in the least bit poignant or touching. Oy...

Tiffany said...

Actually, you look pretty good.. I was sure your head would be abnormally huge or something, but you've pulled it off well.

Now where the hell is triple antibiotic cream.....

Oh, I may be in love with Pontchartrain Pete.

Daisy Duke said...

Love Slappy's post. Love the new layout. Come visit me.

Oh wait, I think what I was try to say was "good job!"