The Biggest Week Ever

Monday, March 16, 2009

This is a BIG week. Like in the weeks of life, next to the week I got married, honeymooned and the week leading up to and following the birthing of hypothetical children, this is like the biggest week ever.

Today is Black Monday. On Black Monday, all matching 4th year medical students get an email from the matching program letting them know if they matched to a residency. Not where they matched, just if they did. Black Monday is when you find out if the rest of your week will be excitingly nerve-wracking or horribly traumatic.

Slappy matched.

Out of respect for those who didn't and are in the process of scrambling to find a residency, I'm not going to go into great details about how great it feels. (But it feels REALLY great. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY great). And getting through today means we can look greatly forward to the rest of the week.

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day, which is inconsequential except that I have 2 exams back to back, with a short intermission of a meeting with my chemistry lab moron professor (not the same one as the Thursday night one, mind you...). I could happily take tomorrow out of this week and never remember it again. Or, you know, study for the tests instead of blogging. I'm going to let you guess which one is more likely to happen.

Anyways, back on track.

Wednesday, Slappy is shaving his head! He's already raised $625, but the donations will remain open until Wednesday (if you want to donate, shoot me an email: overflowingbrain@blogspot.com). It's going to be an awesome experience, with lots and lots of pictures. And baldness.

Thursday is the day. I mean, Slappy's graduation is important. But Thursday is Match Day. It's the day we've waited for for 3 and a half years.

It is when we find out where Slappy matched. When we find out where we'll be living. When I find out where I can send a deposit and see this dream of entering graduate school materialize (though I won't believe it until the first day of classes and even then I'm afraid they'll find out that I'm a fraud...).

Thursday is the day Slappy's hard work truly pays off. It's the culmination of years of hard work and it's huge. HUGE.

Thursday is a day for huge celebrations as well. They'll run all day long, in true New Orleans style.

Friday is when we find a place to live, figure out moving arrangements and start packing in earnest. Friday is when it hits us that no matter where Slappy is matched, we're moving out of this house at the end of May and we have more work ahead of us than UV rays emitted from the sun. Hopefully we'll be doing all of this sans-hangover.

Friday is kind of the first day of the rest of everything. Friday is when we breathe our sign of relief and move forward instead of staying in this place of, where will we be? Where will we live? Where will I go to school? Do we need 2 cars or 1?

Friday is when we can start dreaming about the future. About where we'll raise our children. About where our lives are going. Friday is the beginning of our future. And I'm just waiting for the story to unfold

I truly can't wait to tell you all about it.

10 comments:

nola said...

Yippee!! Great news all around!!! Cheers!

Dysfunction Junction said...

Wheee hooooo! End scene.

Lanny said...

Match Day! Plan on a hangover. It's a given.

Yea for matching! Fingers crossed that it's with the first choice!

justlori2day said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!

I am excited with so much anticipation for you and Slappy!!

Does it get any better than this?

ENJOY THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T. said...

So can't wait to check in on Friday. So glad that he has a place to go.

T.

Lynn said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope all goes the way you want it to this week!
Always here praying!
Psalms 18:2-6 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Ali said...

Congratulations Slappy! I hope you have a great week!

Becs said...

So exciting! V happy for you & Slappy. Fingers crossed.

just me said...

Congratulations to slappy! I know how exciting this time can be. I remember match day being super happy because the work paid off and super sad because it meant my sister was moving to the other side of the country to Los Angeles. I was so proud but so sad to know she was moving so far away.

Sue G said...

Boy, am I behind in my blog reading. So, here I am, catching up on your creative epistles, and I read this wonderful announcement proclaiming a new life in a new, albeit yet unknown, city...with a bald guy, no less.

Wonderful news. Wonderful new beginning. Congratulations!