We interrupt this party for a health update

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

So, yes, it is Mardi Gras and believe me, we are living up to the fatness of Fat Tuesday today (that's a rant for another day). But I got some news yesterday that I thought you might be interested in.

My neurologist met with a neuro-radiologist to look at my CT scan. They've determined that the brain nugget (which I will show you a picture of some day) is in fact just a calcification within my brain. It is benign(!) and should not be a problem.

This is fantastically good news, and not to be ignored. But, I also spoke with the doctor to explain that despite being on a massive dose of the Neurontin, I was still having fairly constant headaches. He bumped me up to the highest dose (600mg 3 times a day) and said that I should come in and see him.

As usual, the news is a bit of a double edged sword. It is fan-freaking-wonderfully-tastic that it is not the cyst we thought it was. In fact, that's like the best news we could have gotten. And I am not in any way trying to undermine that fact. Holy crap what a relief.

But, we are back to the drawing board on why my head hurts all the time. And why the Neurontin isn't doing what it once (briefly) did. Which is kind of sucky. But still better than a brain tumor.

Hopefully the drawing board will be more productive. But still benignly so.


p.s. Daisy, whom I just sheltered and fed alcohol to for SIX DAYS, is now trying to encourage people to "follow" her so that her followers will exceed mine. I'm not necessarily whining for you to follow me as much as whining for you to not follow her. Because dude, that's not classy. That said, following me would not be the worst thing ever either (it's to your left if you're looking...). You know, but purely in the interest of winning proving her to be an asshole wrong.

12 comments:

Dysfunction Junction said...

I was going to post the same comment on yours as I did on Daisy's but I realized that would be tacky.

That, and you read each others blog.

PS: Can a nugget still be a Colonel?

Overflowing Brain said...

A nugget can definitely still be a Colonel.

Fo' shizzle.

Ness said...

I hope the increased amount of Neurontin works. That which does not kill us only serves to make us stronger. I keep telling my daughter that anyway. Take care.

Sue G said...

Benign. Now THERE'S a word I never hear! :-)

Congratulations. I love to hear good news about good people.

Sue G
www.caringbridge.org/visit/sueguenther

Daisy Duke said...

How about everyone just follows both of us? It doesn't matter anyway, mostly because if I catch up in blog followers, you will annihilate me with Twitter followers. I'M DESTINED TO SECOND PLACE.

Also I'm having Katie/Slappy withdrawal.

jojo said...

hmmm...i'm going to have to check with my doc...i'm taking waaaay more neurotin than that ;(

Great news about the scan...lets just take it and be happy for awhile (fingers crossed). I'll follow you but you must follow me in return..really...I insist. -j

Monkling said...

It does seem to go that way - good news with mystery ailments. Or, uh, just plain mysteries?

I know I outdid myself on this Fat Tuesday. Luckily there are 2 days of fasting this week to make up for it because I ain't buying bigger sized clothes.

Lynn said...

Thankful for the good news...hoping there's a good answer out there somewhere, though and that you find it soon!
Know that I'm here praying!
Psalms 31:7-8 I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities; And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Becs said...

Yay on the brain nugget.

Flea said...

Happy Ash Wednesday. :) And congratulations on not having a tumor!

gudnuff said...

Ask and you shall receive. Another follower. Because unlike visitors to MY blog, when I visit and the blogger is desperately begging me for support, I step up and do the sheep-like thing and become a devoted follower. Baaaaaaaaaaa!

I'm following both of ya'll, so it's a wash. I may choose to drop somebody if the other one turns into a regular commenter on my pathetic posts, though.

Oh, and hooray! That is EXCELLENT news, omg yes. The headaches not going away is a pisser, though. Like you needed me to tell you that.

Claire said...

Ok I'm following. At least I think i am...