Thank you for NOT smoking

Saturday, February 21, 2009

So I have an issue (shut up, so I have several. This is a different kind). An issue that several might take offense to, but I'm going to say it anyways.

I cannot STAND smoking.

I find it vile and disgusting. To an extent, I understand older generations than mine who smoke because it is addictive and because the danger was not present (most likely) when said people began smoking. It's sad and I wish we could encourage and help them all stop, but my grandmother smoked from age 20 to about 6 months before her death. And she was a nurse. I do empathize with the fact that smoking is very very difficult to give up.

That said, smokers my age and younger? You're just idiots. You are. You're ruining your health for a cigarette. It doesn't look cool. It doesn't make you cool. In fact, it makes you look stupid. STUPID.

Last night at the later parades a group of high school students (hey moron, if you don't want us to know you're in high school, perhaps don't wear your school's hat to Mardi Gras?) decided to weasel their way in front of us at the spot that Daisy and her friend had staked out hours before. And then they started smoking.

And perhaps this makes me an unkind person, but I cannot help myself. First I did the "polite" cough when they smoked in my direction. Then I got Slappy's attention about the smoking and he started blowing the smoke back in their face (which, while not wildly effective in terms of actual air quality, was both hilarious to watch and almost passive aggressive enough to get them to move). And finally I called to him and I said (and I quote) "Honey, it's almost like if I wanted to smoke, I'd go buy my own pack of cigarettes to destroy my lungs."

And low and behold, they moved.

For like 10 minutes.

I think we'll chalk that up to a moral victory nonetheless.

7 comments:

Daisy Duke said...

It was a victory to me!

Becs said...

I hate smoking, too. One of my aunts worked for a cigarette mfr and one of her "perks" was getting two free cartons of cigs a week.

I'm amazed when I watch "Hell's Kitchen" and see all these people who are so crazy about food puffing away on their smokes.

Ashley said...

I also hate smoking. Both my parents smoke (well my mother has quit)... but they both smoked when I was growing up, and I hated it. The worst was when we'd have to go somewhere, and my brother, sister, and I were squished in the backseat and both of them were smoking in the front seat. Now in Ontario we've banned smoking with kids under 16 in the car, and stores that sell cigarettes are not allowed to display them, they have to be hidden away behind covered shelves... a few small victories I guess :)

nola said...

It was a beautiful moment I will cherish :)

Lynn said...

Definitely with you on this one! Life is just so very precious and to throw it away over something so stupid, but also something that can hurt those around them........
Praying right now!
Psalms 121:5-8 The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Flea said...

Yeah, I don't get it either. Ew.

Nutmeg said...

I couldn't agree more! When bars in Chicago went smoke-free, it seriously improved the quality of my life. I hate the smell so much that I used to strip down, leave my clothes in the hallway and jump in the shower upon coming home from a bar.

Showering under the influence can be dangerous!