Redacted

Monday, February 23, 2009

So, in light of the past few days, I'm going to have to revise some of my previous statements about Mardi Gras.

Last year, Mardi Gras sucked. I'm not going to sugar coat it. It sucked.

It was sort of a perfect storm of Slappy's bat-shit-crazy mother being here and me being rather very ill. And when you're with Lucifer his mom, in the french quarter for 14 hours with a 102 degree fever, you just might not enjoy it. I know, it's hard to imagine.

It could've been when Satan my MIL begged me for all the cool beads I caught. It could've been when she insisted that one chair would be fine for all of us and then sat in it all day, despite my being sick. It could've been that she made us stake out a spot for Endymion in the French Quarter, sit for several hours amidst total drunken chaos, some of it involving guns, and then called to say she was sitting in a hotel bar (note: not the hotel she was staying in because she was staying IN OUR HOUSE) and didn't want to see Endymion after all.

Could've been.

This year, however, things have been different. I will admit to leaving 2 parades early: one because it was really cold and one because I hurt all over. But the ratio of kind people to drunken obnoxious people has been totally reasonable. Our alcohol has been plentiful but not excessively so and the catches have been good. We went to Endymion, got totally hit on by an old man (more on that another time) and then last night Slappy, Daisy and I met up with NOLA Notes and Pontchartrain Pete for Bacchus, and guys? It. was. great.

Loved it.

Loved it so much, we're doing it again tonight. This time we're bringing the food (McDonald's, because while the fried chicken kicked ass last night, I have now eaten Popeye's 3 times in the 3 days. And I'm fairly sure my entire body is going to go on strike if I so much as consider ever eating fried chicken again), the bead catching box (also known as the box that has caused many people to get hit in the face with beads) and hope to get some good stuff.

Apparently the recipe for a good Mardi Gras? Good company, good food, and Slappy's mother being 2000 miles away. Who knew?

7 comments:

Daisy Duke said...

Agreed. It has been *lovely* to say the least.

Ness said...

So glad you're having fun for a change. And the company you have with you always makes it more fun! Thanks for the info about the programmable shunt. I will get busy and find one.

Sue G said...

I coulda told ya,' and I don't even know the woman.

I know a ton of them (many are relatives).

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot about last MG. Totally understand why you hated last MG. Glad this year is better for you!!! Have fun tomorrow!

Claire in TX

Daisy Duke said...

And you didn't even mention our glass bead awesomeness!

Ali said...

Oh god, isn't everything better without your mother-in-law? That's just natural law or something.

Can you explain Mardi Gras to me? I mean I've heard of it and seen footage of drunken people wearing heaps of beads but I need it explaining. I didn't know there were lots of different parades and they had names. Clarify for the antipodean clueless one?

Becs said...

Glad you enjoyed it! Crowds freak me out sometimes, so while I always think, gee, I'd like to go to Mardi Gras, I managed to remember it's going to be like 5th Ave in NY on Christmas Eve, only hot and with drunks.