Can you keep a secret?

Thursday, February 19, 2009

How about two?

Okay, here goes.

I hate Mardi Gras. There. I said it.

I know. I need to get in the spirit. Cut loose. Have some fun. But I don't know. Mardi Gras and I do not see eye to eye. Mardi Gras means standing for hours at a time, yelling for people to throw things at you. Or if you have the luxury of having space to sit in, it's most likely near a very large group of very drunk people, who are always operating a barbeque or something else with fire and it's like a train wreck. You just know one of them is going to light another one on fire or something equally brilliant and in the end, half the people are going to be hurling just mere feet from where you're standing.

And then there's the beads. I will admit that I love getting the "special" catches, especially glass beads. However, having beads thrown at my head a) scares the bejesus out of me and b) makes my neck really really really sore.

The only thing that salvages Mardi Gras for me is the company. For example, Slappy. On Mardi Gras morning, he and I arise at the ass-crack of dawn, throw on whatever clothes seem like they might match, pour half a container of orange juice into a different plastic container and then fill up the rest of both containers with champagne. Then we take our humongous mimosas and a few beers (to barter) and walk to Zulu, which is a solid 2 mile walk. In the morning. But it's he and I (and not his mother!) and it's great fun.

This year, Daisy is joining the fun. Whether she'll take part in the Mardi Gras Mimosa fest is yet to be determined, but she's only been in town 10 hours and we're already having a kickass time. Or I think so anyways.


The other secret? Despite the fact that I really don't like Mardi Gras? I lied to skip my class tonight to go to parades with Slappy and Daisy.


Perhaps my third secret is that I'm crazy. But then, that's really not a secret at all, is it?

4 comments:

Melissa said...

How can you not like anything that starts with a mimosa? If you have to get up at the "ass crack" of dawn, you might as well start drinking. I'm thinking the secret you don't have anymore is the fact that you lied to skip your class.

Ness said...

I want some glass beads! All I ever get are the green, gold and purple ones. You can have my large economy sized Mimosa for some glass beads. Have fun! Also need a favor from Slappy if he would be so kind...if he can get me the name and company who makes programmable LP shunts...our neurosurgeon is not on the cutting edge and says they do not exist even though the 2nd opinion neuro says they do and so do I. Read my blog update on Thursday for further details. I'm not having any luck Googling and I want this info to put in the neuro's sanctimonious face....

Dysfunction Junction said...

Perhaps crazy like a fox.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you can enjoy MG this year knowing that next year you won't be living a mere 2 miles from Zulu...I am so glad we enjoyed our fair share of MG when we lived there. NOw I have the memories but I don't have to fight the crowds!!! Oh the fun of MG, drinking, beads and "throws." Throw me somethin mister!

Claire in TX now
but loved Endymion, Bacchus and the truck parades!