Disbelief, day 2

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

So since the wonderfully wonderful news yesterday I have gotten additional good and additional bad news (that's life, eh?)


The good news first.  Extremely prestigious university just happens to be in New York, where, incidentally, I'll be this weekend and Monday.  So after getting their email yesterday, I wrote back and asked, very innocently, if I could stop by while I was there to see the campus since I've never been there.  

I received an email back from the Program Director stating that I could come by on Monday and she'd arrange for a group of students to meet with me and then I would meet with her.  Which, in case you wondered, is an interview.  We're just not calling it that.  So basically I got an interview.  On Monday.  At extremely prestigious university.  Again I say, HOLY CRAP.  I'm elated.  I may not end up attending this school (if I get it, that is) because if Slappy matches elsewhere we'll go elsewhere together, but I am still so over the moon just to be considered as a real applicant by them.

The not-so-good news is that the other program I have an interview at won't accept the online course suggested by the extremely prestigious university, so I can't drop a whole bunch of classes (don't get me started on the irony here- extremely prestigious university suggests a class that isn't accepted by a much less solid program...).  So it looks like in the spring I'll be taking 2 classes and 5 labs and hopefully both of those classes will be online ones.  It's not ideal by any means, but I can't even look at course schedules right now and devise a plan because College #2, in its infinite stupidity, CLOSES it's ONLINE services at night.  WHAT?  Seriously, what could possibly be the purpose of that?  I mean seriously.

So I continue to be extremely excited (and now, really, really, really nervous) about extremely prestigious university.  So excited I had to buy a new shirt.  And coat.  It's apparently really cold in New York in December.  

And tomorrow, I'll tell you why Slappy also got a new suit today.  It would appear that we have switched lives and he's now living a life of irony and frustration.  In New Mexico.

6 comments:

CatMominPhilly said...

I live in Philly, 2 hours from NY. It is cold as f&CKSDF, except for the random days when global warming pushes things back up to 65.

Scarfs, gloves, or layers are awesome.

AND, Hooray for good news. You deserve it.

LilSass said...

I've been reading for months but I have no idea what kind of grad program you're going into. Care to share?

And in my experience ... when a university is a pain in the ass to deal with during the application process this is a sign of bad things to come. Grad school is more stressful due to paperwork and bureaucratic bullshit than the actual course work. YAY for grad school! ... even through all my struggles and continual state of poverty, I'd do it all over again in a heart beat. Oh wait ... I am doing it all over again!

Yay for prestigious schools! It's always nice to be wanted, whether or not you end up there.

justlori2day said...

Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck Good Luck

If you need translation: Good Luck!

You will do GREAT! I am so excited to see what happens!

And irony is a bitch. I dont like that other school - it makes me mad!

April said...

I live in Ct,a town very close to NYC, it's actually supposed to be in the 50's next week.

Thats awesome for you! Good luck and enjoy your visit to the Big Apple! And just a side, fun fyi the Rockets Christmas Spectacular is going on, I know they have matinees and the cheap seats are like 42 bucks...I highly recommend it if you have the time :) It's a great time to be in the city everything is all lit up it's beautiful!

April said...

I was just rereading your post and I (duh!) noticed you just said NY, not necessarily NYC...Like most people I hear NY and automatically think of the City, so I guess you can disregard all my babbling on about NYC... :) lol oh well I hope everything goes smoothly for ya! :)

Becs said...

If in NYC, La Maison du Chocolat. (That is,if the Elixir of Life doesn't give you a migraine.) W 49th, really IN 30 Rockefeller Plaza (the really, really tall building).

I live in Jersey, so all the toxic waste melts the snow.