Horseshoes and Hand Grenades

Saturday, November 22, 2008

So the reason I am trapped in endless hell chaperoning 16 teenage girls at a hotel is because today marked the end of our sport season with the super-big important championship meet.

For the sake of not having to refer to it "the sport" in such vague terms (since I can't really disclose the specifics) let's call it, um, horseshoes. I coach the varsity horseshoe throwing team for my school and this weekend was their last meet of the season, the championship meet.

It took 3 hours in the car (3 blessed hours where I wasn't allowed to drive any teenagers due to liability issues, it. was. awesome.) to get here and to be honest, the proximity to Texas is quite disturbing. The city itself is fine, the hotel is sketchy as hell.

And so last night I had to arrange my 16 horseshoers into their hotel rooms, sit in the hallway from 10:00 to 10:45 to get them to bed because we all had to be up at 6 to get to the horseshoe championships. Important piece of information: I am not a morning person. I do not want to talk to anyone in the morning, especially not teenagers. I told one of them that if they didn't get out of bed and dressed in their horseshoeing uniform right. that. second. that they would be thrown out a window. I am also dramatic in the morning. The teenage drama is contagious.

So the other important thing is that our school's horseshoeing team has won the championship for the past several years. The past several years where I wasn't the coach. And so I took over this year and, well, we didn't get 1st. We didn't get 2nd either. We did have a great championship minus one horribly bad call (imagine a horseshoe clearly being around the post and having someone disqualify the thrower for wearing the wrong color socks. And then when the coach calmly protested the ridiculous disqualification being told that she couldn't protest a "judgement call." Um, aren't all referee calls "judgement calls?" So why the hell do you have protest forms at all?)

Regardless, it's not about winning and we're very happy with how our horseshoeing season turned out. And more than anything else, I'm just so freaking happy that it's over, I don't care about anything else.

So if you'll excuse me, I have to go corral the remaining 12 horseshoers (4 left already!) into rooms so that the people in the hotel (besides me) can get some sleep.

And also, Slappy comes home tomorrow. The level of happiness related to that is indescribable. He's leaving again on Monday (coming back Tuesday night), but even just a half a day of Slappy after a month without him is totally AWESOME because I have missed my husband something fierce.

7 comments:

justlori2day said...

While I am sorry you didnt win 1st in horseshoes this year, I am proud that as your first year coaching a whole lot of horse-ing around, you were still in the top 3 (at least I assume the top 3). That is a major accomplishment. Especially when you have all of this other "stuff" junking up your existence.

I am proud of you oh coach and chapperone of many wild young ladies!

Congrats!!!

Monkling said...

Just so you know, if you are ever in a position to chaperone teenagers again - boys are so much easier! There is way too much drama with girls. 8 years ago we went on a 10 day trip to Rome with a bunch of high school boys & had so much fun, we did it again the following year in France. If it had been girls, I can assure you, I'd have bailed halfway through the Rome trip.

Anonymous said...

Admiгіng the commitment you ρut into your site and іn dеρth
іnformatіon you оffer. Ӏt's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the
sаme outԁated rehashеd infoгmаtiоn.

Wondеrful rеaԁ! I've bookmarked your site and I'm adding your RSS
feeds to my Google аccount.

Viѕit my website ... bucket truck
My web site :: bucket trucks for sale

Anonymous said...

Sіmplу want to say yοur articlе is as ѕuгprising.
Thе clarity to yοur submit is ѕimply cool and that i could ѕuppоse уοu aге an exρeгt in
thіs subjeсt. Fine together with your рeгmiѕsion аllow me to seize уour
RSS feеd to stаy uρdated with іmρending ρost.
Thanκ you a million and pleaѕe carry on thе enjoyable ωοrk.



Look into my hоmepаge :: used altec bucket trucks for sale
My web blog - used bucket trucks for sale

Anonymous said...

I hаνе rеad so many articleѕ regarԁing the blogger lovers
however this ρіece of writіng іs reаlly a nice paгagrаph, κeep it up.


Feel free to suгf tο my webpage ... tens machines

Anonymous said...

Ӏ'll immediately seize your rss feed as I can't in findіng уouг emaіl subѕcriptiοn hyрerlink
οr newsletteг ѕervice. Do you have any?
Кіndly permit me recognіze
in οrder thаt I may just subscribе.

Thanks.

Here is my webpage tens

Anonymous said...

Hello, Ι enjoy reading all of yоur artiсlе.
I like to ωrite a little сοmment to
support you.

My homеpage ... dallas seo