TWENTY days

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Help me Lord, it's been 20 days since this headache started. How I am still alive, I'm not entirely sure. Yet, I am.

Today was the ear, nose and throat doctor appointment, which I have to admit, was a little bit satisfying. I went in, the doctor asked why I was there, I explained the headache and he said, "oh, your sinuses are not responsible for those headaches."

(No shit Sherlock.)

He went on to explain about 800 ways how that assumption was false, little did he know that he was literally preaching to the choir of all choirs on that one. He even suggested that perhaps this was a bit of a "wasted appointment."

(Um, again, I say, no shit Sherlock.)

All that said, the doctor was actually quite nice and to my surprise (and not great pleasure) he did have some interesting information. After looking at the MRIs he has determined that I do not have a sinus infection as I had thought. Not only do my sinuses look fine on examination, but I have no symptoms of a sinus infection. There's no mucus. It's not an infection. However, what I appear to have is a sinus cyst. Or rather, 3 sinus cysts. He said that sinus infections don't cause perfect congestion of sinuses like what shows up on my MRIs, but cysts apparently do.

To confirm that these cysts are benign and can be left alone, they need to do a CT scan, or at least look at one. I had one the day after my brain surgery, which was at the hospital where the ENT works, but of course that wouldn't come up on the computer when they wanted to look at it. So I have a follow up appointment in a week to make sure that they see the CT (if not they'll schedule one) and that it looks as benign as they expect it to. Assuming the CT is fine, he said he'll write my (ex)neurologist a note letting her know that my sinuses are not the cause of the headache that never ends. Which will be such a wonderful moment. SUCH a wonderful moment.

(I could lie here and tell you that I'm not worried at all about the cysts, but you know me. I'm sure it'll be fine. Really. They've been there for 12 years, it can't be really bad, can it?)

To wrap up the day I sucked at took a microbiology test and then got into a huge argument with my sister (because I'm not happy enough anymore for her. Maybe those of you who are sending me emails about how much of a downer I am can form a club with her?).

My head hurts worse now than it has in at least a week which is discouraging, but frankly, not even slightly surprising.

11 comments:

lace1070 said...

Hey ~ knowing that Mr. Shirlock will be serving up a big platter of crow for your exnurologist just might kick that headache! Here's to hoping :) Hugs ~ Lace

Anonymous said...

Umm. Well, maybe it's progress to eliminate one potential cause, anyway...

Let's hope this is a step towards finding an answer...

Anna in IL

kim-d said...

Oh, that's just freakin' great.

As if the mother of all headaches is not enough, the mother of all sisters decides to act up.

At this stage of the game, if it was me and somebody had the unmitigated gall to e-mail me about being a downer, I think I would have to send a "kiss my ass" response. But you're probably still nicer than me.

It's an option, though...

justlori2day said...

I do hope that he allowed you to explain the idiocy coming from your exneuro and not from you.

DUH!

So am I to understand that you knew of these cysts? Which means so should your neuro and the radiologist?

Really, I say these people do not deserve whatever 3rd world MD's they have.

I wish you some relief soon (DUH).

justlori2day said...

Oh, and what Kim-d said!

Flea said...

HUGS!!!!! I don't know what else to say. Glad someone's actually taking you seriously.

Owens Family Adventures said...

I feel so badly for you. Are people really sending you emails saying you've become a downer?? I don't even know what to say about that. Wow.
Hang in there. I am sending some wishes your way that some doctor out there...any doctor...can figure out what's wrong and fix it.
dawn

Daisy Duke said...

Ahem. *I* don't think you are being a downer.

AirmanMom said...

My prayers continue for you!


~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

melissa said...

Unless you are tying people to a chair, putting toothpicks in their eyelids to keep them open and placing your blog directly in front of them (and you've got better things to do, right?), why don't those who complain about you being a downer move on? Seriously people, if you don't like what is being written, MOVE ON. There's a whole lotta stuff out there.

nola said...

Well, at least it's SOMETHING. Dp keep us posted. Yowza.