Low like Death Valley

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sometimes, when you're going through a difficult time, it's hard to even see when things are the worst. All the badness blends together into a crap frappuccino that just. never. ends.

Today was not one of those days.

That is not to say that today didn't suck, because, oh did it ever suck. I mean, we're on what, day 22 now? Yea, that's rocking.

Like how I woke up with such a sore throat I've wondered if I may have swallowed battery acid in my sleep.

Or how I got half way to work and then had to turn the car around and go back home because I FORGOT TO PUT A BRA ON. Who even does that? Seriously.

Or how about when I left my lights on again? Bless the person who told the front office who made an announcement. Unfortunately, enough people know my car that immediately everyone popped their heads out of their classes to watch me do the walk of shame to my car. To be honest I was a little amazed it didn't start pouring outside when I walked out to turn them off.

No, the low point of today was very clear indeed. Today at work we had a special evening event where visitors can come check out the school to see if they want to send their kids there (we're an upper school, ages 14 and up). The teachers have to dress up like adults (except for the bra part apparently) and stand on our feet for like 15ish hours. It's awesome. Except, you know, not even a little bit.

So a parent (of a prospective student) comes up to me and starts a conversation, which is fine, I'm there to be friendly and I was. And she goes, "so, how does your daughter like it here? What grade is she in?"

Seriously.

SERIOUSLY?

I realize that perhaps this seems insignificant. But this is the third time in 3 years that an adult has inquired about my (imaginary) high school aged child. I AM 25 YEARS OLD. It is bordering upon physiologically impossible for me to have a child this age. Seriously.

Now, If you'll excuse me, my shattered self-esteem, throbbing head, shredded sore throat and I are going to sip on hot chocolate and eat junior mints until we slip into a diabetic coma and Friday finally rolls around. How is it not the weekend yet?

8 comments:

Monarch's Librarian said...

LOL @ forgetting to put on a bra. I've been so busy before that I forgot to brush my teeth...not a good thing when you have to teach K-5 students all day! As for that parent asking you about your imaginary child...I wouldn't think on that one too much. I'm sure that parent was just as tired as you were and didn't take the time to take a good look at you. Either that or they had their child at 11 and they thought you could relate. :)

justlori2day said...

That could be a compliment - her imagining you looking great for a mother her age; or just another idiot who has managed to meander across your path.

Good friday to you - hopefully it will be a better one than the last 22.

nola said...

Get their names. Be sure their dumb daughters don't get in!

Lanny said...

I agree with Nola! Take names!

And junior mints and hot chocolate? YUM! Have you had CC's mint hot chocolate? It's like drinking a melted Andes! Ok, homesick now...

Anonymous said...

But if you did have a daughter that age, then you get "the look."

My stepdaughter is 16 years younger than me, and people can't quite figure out how we're related when we're in public. They usually guess sisters or cousins, which is fine. She looks way older than she is, so when I say "my daughter," then I get... the look.

Anna in IL

kim-d said...

Yup, I'm with Nola and Lanny but I would have to add the "kick ass" part to the "take down names." As in "KICK ASS AND TAKE DOWN NAMES." No, you do not look like you could have a teenager; not even on your very worst day. But I've noticed that not near as many people say I don't look old enough to have grandkids, too. Jerks. There again, I'm 52...oldest (step)grandchild is 22. I don't think so, so they all better just keep saying I don't look old enough...

But back to you...HA! At least, as you did the walk of shame to go turn off your car lights, all of the other teachers refrained from clapping for you. As in, "good job there, oh forgetful one." My co-workers wouldn't be that nice.

Oh, Katie. I just don't know what to say other than go for the sugar shock and have a good time doing it. You deserve it!

the queen said...

You clearly looked like a trophy wife. Rich 50 year old husband with kids from a previous marriage.

Flea said...

Take a moment to visit my blog and leave a comment. You may win a prize! Either way I could send you a cat. She's cute. :)