Losing Patients

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm firing my doctor.

Which is sad because I rather liked her. And Slappy will be working with her in January. But I've reached the official critical mass here and I can no longer tolerate this kind of behavior.

Example number 1: During the first week of the now 14 day headache, I called on a Friday afternoon indicating that I had a headache I was concerned about. I asked for a call back the next week to re-evaluate the decision to use Topamax. On Monday, when the headache had not disappeared, I called again, leaving another message. On Tuesday, when it continued to be ever-present, I called again. NOTHING. Not a call from the nurse, not a message from the front desk. Never a returned call and at this point the headache was on day 6. When a patient calls and tells you that their pain is an 8 out of 10 for 6 days, you should at least call them back and tell them that you're receiving their messages. But they didn't.

So the emergency room called for me and she let me come and see her the next day.


Example number 2: That appointment I was given was not a prescheduled one, and since her office was unhappy about the fact that she squeezed me in, they decided to make me the last appointment of the morning, even though she had me come in for 9:30. I'm not really joking. I heard the woman at the front say, "well, if she thinks she can come in whenever she wants, then she can wait." And so I did. And while this was not my doctor's doing, it didn't make me feel very welcome.


Example number 3: At the appointment, the doctor ordered an MRI. She scheduled it for Monday so that it could be read by Wednesday so that she could get the results quickly because she was leaving for vacation on Thursday. Do you see where this is going? Do you? Because I've had a headache for 14 mother fucking days and she DIDN'T FREAKING CALL ME. I don't give a flying fuck if my MRI is pristine, she still owes me a phone call. She told me to my face that she would call me by today, BY TODAY, and she didn't. And now she's on vacation, indefinitely, with no timeline in which to call me and give me the results. I don't know if she's coming back Monday or a week from Monday because she was supposed to call me today.


Long story short, I'm in the market for a new doctor. I think it's time to find someone who specializes in Chiari, I know of several, none nearby and only one of which will accept my insurance, which should be fun. Honestly, I just want my head to stop hurting. I'll travel far and wide if that's what's necessary. To the ends of the earth and back.

Just to make it stop.

8 comments:

Pontchartrain Pete said...

Example No. 2 would have clinched it for me.

April said...

I hope that Dr knows that what goes around comes around. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will. And I hope things go smoothly with getting this new Dr. I pray this pain is gone soon.

brneyedgal967 said...

Yes, new doctor STAT. And you should e-mail or snail mail a copy of your post to her office so they are fully aware of why.

Hope you somehow, someway find some kind of relief soon.

nola said...

I forgive you for waiting this long considering your judgment is hampered by this ridiculous headache. Totally, totally uncool doctor behavior. Slappy, NEVER BE LIKE THIS!

Good luck in seeking a new doctor!

Tracy said...

You so need a new doctor-all of the examples you gave were not anywhere close to good patient care much less compassion. Oh I would have been steaming after #2-Did you say anything about it to the dr.? I probably would have let her have a piece of my mind-the part with the headache!
Sorry you are having to deal with this-I feel your frustration.
The whole situation is so wrong-there has to be someone who can help you.
Praying that a reason why will be found for this headache from hell.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Yup, you most definitely need a new doctor. I'm glad that you have made this decision. You don't even have to tell her, if you don't want to be confrontational. Just go to a new one, and he or she can request all of the files, etc.

Are there any Chiari guys in Baton Rouge? 'Cause the drive isn't that bad, honestly. In each of the cities is sort of yucky, but the interstate is cake. Plus, there's an outlet mall in Gonzales, which makes shoppping after appointments totally justified.

Anna in IL

PS - Call her office tomorrow for your MRI results. Somebody has to be covering for her, and if they don't have your results, maybe they can call the radiologist and get them. Her behavior is inexcusable, and a medical PROFESSIONAL would realize that.

Anna in IL

Ness said...

Don't even get me started on doctors who don't follow through on what they say. William Hurt starred in a movie years ago(the name escapes me)where he played a doctor and then got cancer and saw how crappy it was to be a patient and not respected by doctors as a patient. I think the movie should be required viewing for all doctors every six months. I am so sorry you're going through this and I would definitely seek out a new doctor. You're still in my prayers. When you feel better, and there will be a day you will, make sure and send this doctor a letter about her inept ways and the rudeness of her staff. We may be patients, but we don't have to tolerate inhuman, rude behavior.

The Floydster said...

Un-fucking-believable. I echo the thoughts of everyone who has responded. This is just flat-out wrong. I'm praying that her vacation is one from hell, where she has left you with this audacious headache.