Unvalentine's Day 2008

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Today was a horrendously long day. It was the first day of school for the students and it is the first time since I got married that I will sleep alone. Slappy is on call overnight, so it's just me, alone. Okay, there might be an amaretto sour in bed with me, but that's it. And it's very quiet and lonely.

What I had forgotten over the course of this long day is that today is also August 14th. Why is that important, you ask? Well, it's Unvalentine's Day. Duh.

My amazingly wonderful husband called and had someone deliver a dozen long-stemmed red roses for me today. So when I got home, overwhelmed by my day and the fact that over the course of the previous 8 hours I had accidentally dropped my breakfast on the ground (and then ate it anyway), had a soda knocked out of my hand and was thus without caffeine, had a vomiting student, was totally incompetent at teaching all. day. long, had a totally pointless psychiatrist appointment which really, is just glorified drug dealing and then was stuck in totally unnecessary traffic, the first thing I saw when I opened the door were those beautiful red roses.

I wish there was a more creative way to say that I love this man, but there's just not. So instead of trying to say something cute or funny, I'm just going to share my favorite poem. Share it with someone you love on this Unvalentine's Day, it captures my love better than any words I have ever been able to string together.


I love you
Not only for what you are
But for what I am when I am with you.

I love you
Not only for what you have made of yourself
But for what you are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me that you bring out.

I love you
For putting your hand into my heaped-up heart
And passing over all the foolish, weak things
That you can't help dimly see there.
And for drawing out into the light all the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked quite far enough to find.

I love you
Because you are helping me to make the lumber of my life
Not a tavern, but a temple.
Out of the works of my every day, not a reproach, but a song.

I love you
Because you have done more
Than any creed could have done to make me good.
And more than any fate could have done to make me happy.

You have done it without a touch, without a word, without a sign.
You have done it by being yourself.

-Roy Croft

8 comments:

Monkling said...

That is just too damn adorable. I like that Slappy guy.

Ness said...

I'm so happy Slappy did that. It's just what you needed.

stacey said...

ohhhh that is so sweet. Gotta make up for the day. :)

Ashley said...

Have you seen this? Talk about BAD sportsmanship and ungratefulness (sorry the link is really long)

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/Swedish+wrestler+tosses+away+medal+in+disgust+at+Beijing+Games/Beijing2008/ContentPosting?isfa=1&newsitemid=99390042&feedname=CP_EN_OGAMES&show=True&number=3&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

Flea said...

Awwww! I love the Unvalentine Day concept. And the poem is beautifully touching. :)

Daisy Duke said...

Me: Katie from the blog got roses today. From her sweet husband. For Non-Valentines Day.

BISMOW: Um. We don't do flowers for regular Valentines day.

Me: Are you saying I don't deserve flowers?

BISMOW: (Eye rolling. Big sigh. No further comments.)

Lucky girl!

ashley said...

oops, sorry katie, just realized i posted my comment on the wrong topic... meant to post to your olympic topic

i think the flowers are SO sweet... wish i would get flowers!!!!

nola said...

Lovely poem. You shoulda taken credit for it! Roses? Ahhh.