The Plan

Thursday, August 28, 2008

So, as the day moves on and the storm slowly stays more or less on its projected path we've more or less firmed up our plans. Slappy's school is closing from tomorrow at noon (after his test) until Thursday morning in anticipation of Gustav. I am out of work at noon, so we're going to hit the road as soon after that as we can get the cat sedated. We'll be driving up to Nashville to impose ourselves on my friend's life until we can come home.

I realize that there's still a reasonable chance that this storm will be weaker or nowhere near here, but it's not a risk we're willing to take. And understand that I'm not trying to inflammatory with my concerns over this, but that this is a big deal. I got an email at work today telling us to unplug all our electrical devices, but to not bother moving anything to higher ground because if the levees fail again, the school won't reopen. It's a really stark reality and while the chances of it happening should be low, the anxiety of it is high. Our livelihood could be destroyed by this storm, and God knows we're not alone in that. This whole city is watching with bated breath because I think we all know what might happen if Gustav at all approaches the seriousness of the aftermath of Katrina.

As tomorrow marks the 3 year anniversary of the destruction that Katrina brought, let's spend tonight praying, thinking good thoughts and otherwise willing Gustav to stop in his tracks. That's really all we can do at this point. Besides take copious amounts of Xanax.

I need to go pack, I'll keep everyone apprised of the situation as it unfolds.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

Praying for your peace of mind and safety during this craziness of the storm... stay safe!

jojo said...

Hoping and praying that everything will be all right for everyone. Take care and travel safely.

Monkling said...

Praying. I hope you get to have a bit of fun while you're in Nashville. Oh, and I gave you a Kick Ass Blogger Award: http://www.monkling.com/blog/2008/08/28/kick-ass/

Daisy Duke said...

Good Luck & Godspeed.

Enjoy your vacation- fingers crossed that is all it is- and you'll be settled in, ready to go back to school & work next week.

(There is a Houston's in Nashville. Not that we ate their on our hurricane evacuation. Except we did, and it was divine.)

Diana893 said...

Thinking of you and hoping things stay calm. And remember, you're always welcome here in Texas (let me clarify - NORTH Texas)... while we're technically not that far apart, it is of course a distance that makes a big difference. Hugs!

Flea said...

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. I know what it is to experience loss from a hurricane. I'll also be praying.

Xanax Side Effects said...

My name is Wendy Angus and i would like to show you my personal experience with Xanax.

I am 45 years old. Have been on Xanax for 2 years now. In working with a wonderful doctor and therapist, I have learned Meniere's Disease is an anxiety=provoked condition, and is the worst thing I have ever suffered in my life. To manage this, I take a low dose of Wellbutrin everyday and have a 1mg Rx for Xanax, which I am supposed to take 3x-a-day, but to be honest, I usually only take about 3-1mg a week, so only taking it when I honestly feel "too anxious". I also take Meclizine for the Meniere's attacks and those are only as needed as well. I feel the Xanax is better to have around than not, for my personal conditions. It took me a long time to balance out my meds, and taking too much xanax feels as horrible as the withdrawl can be, as I've experienced both. Now, after much time in getting to know what my body needs and how I am feeling (like with anxiety), and removing the 'stigma' of having to take a drug to manage my conditions is now over, taking just a few pills a week seems to work beautifully.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
It makes me very thirsty (dry mouth) but seems to work well in combination with other drugs for my conditions with no ill effects.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Wendy Angus