An Open Letter to Joss Whedon

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dear Joss,

Prior to recent weeks, I was not a fan of yours. For whatever reason you make those shows that generally I roll my eyes at and refuse to watch. I'm sorry, but Buffy? Angel? Firefly? I just couldn't get into them. I realize they had a cult following (*cough*my husband*cough*), but they were just not for me.

I was surprised to see that you were involved in the movie Toy Story and that you had directed 2 of my favorite "The Office" episodes. You almost redeemed yourself. To the best of my knowledge, neither of those had vampires or zombies or anything else so beyond the realm of ridiculous that it was hard to not be embarrassed just to admit that you've watched them.

Bravo.

And then I watched Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. I was shocked that, even knowing you had written it, I actually enjoyed it. It didn't make me cringe with cheesiness (at least not often), you seemed to embrace the ridiculousity of the characters rather than taking them seriously and as I finished the 3rd part, I was actually wishing there was more.

And then my husband bought it on iTunes. Joss, your magic has worn off.

When I get in the car, Dr Horrible somehow always finds his way onto the iPod. When I take a shower, Dr. Horrible somehow always starts playing. When I am angry at my husband and trying to have a serious conversation DR. HORRIBLE BEGINS SINGING. Joss Whedon, I think you are ruining my marriage.

Not more than 15 minutes goes by where one of those damned songs doesn't start playing either in my head or on my husband's computer. And you know what? A woman has to do what a woman has to do too. I am shutting this shit down. NO MORE.

I will no longer hear about hammers as euphemisms for sexual organs. I will no longer hear about how those clothes "aren't my favorite" or that somehow NPH found an extra frozen yogurt. No more will I laugh when someone says that "home is where your heart is, so your home is in your chest." No. No Joss. I won't. You are dead to me.

No more musicals. No more catchy tunes. No more, Joss, no more. You and your whole musical family will have my husband's blood on your hands if you do not make this stop soon. And I think that temporary insanity due to the most obnoxiously repeated musical ever, is a perfectly acceptable defense strategy.

Joss, the future is in your hands. Make it stop. Save my husband's life. Only you hold that power now.

Cordially,
Katie

2 comments:

Monkling said...

Okay, that Dr. Horrible thing was just a bit weird. Maybe I'd like it better if Angel & Spike were in the video.

stacey said...

i had missed act 3 so thanks for posting it!! granted I don't have to listen to it every day...but dang. I love NPH even more now. :)