Go for the gold

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I love the Olympics. I big puffy heart them. As I've admitted in the past, they do make me think that I'm possibly a secretly amazing athlete and my talent just hasn't been discovered. I mean really, why wouldn't I be an amazing fencer?

But the thing that gets me every 2 years when the Olympics come on is that people are disappointed with a silver or bronze metal.

Are you freaking kidding me?

If I won a silver or bronze metal I'd probably wet my pants on the podium. I'm not even kidding. I'd have to wear depends just to save myself the public embarrassment. Hell, if you handed me a circular paint chip from the Olympics with a string to hang it around my neck and told me that because I am such a great athlete, I'd never take it off. Even if it had lead in it. Because it is an HONOR.

There was a commentator last night who was talking about an American swimmer who was 0 for 2 so far. And then he mentioned that she's only earned a silver and a bronze in those races. ONLY A SILVER AND A BRONZE? I'm sorry, you just got a medal that said you are the 2nd or 3rd best IN THE WORLD, what on earth could you possibly be bitching about? Would you like it served with a big pile of applause and admiration to go with your award? Oh wait, you have that too.

I just do not understand this, especially the French 4x100 freestyle relay team. They, to me, are they are the epitomes of poor sportsmanship. The team totally shot their mouths off before the race, got second, and then were quoted afterwards as saying, "Experience prevailed over talent today, and I regret that." Really, Frederick Bousquet? Really? I'm sorry, you did not win first place, that is unfortunate, but you've lost any and all sympathy by being the worst kind of sore loser- the kind that feels like his loss was an injustice. The Americans out-swam the French. Now go home, get over yourself, and savor the fact that you were on the 2nd best team in the world. I would tell you to be proud of yourself, but I'm pretty sure we all know that you are. In fact, maybe take the pride back a notch or two. Or serve it up with a slice of humble pie. Seriously.

I'm taking the Olympics in small doses now because I'm finding this poor sportsmanship to be running rampant this year. And I know perhaps it's because the athletes are on average, like 15 years old (or in China, 12, but their passports say 16 (parentheses inside parentheses, when did I become SO much older than Olympic athletes? Maybe I'm secretly amazing at the walker race they have at retirement homes...)), but seriously, I think everyone needs to take a step back and consider the experience they've been given.

Being at the Olympics is an amazing honor, not a right, and every single one of those athletes should feel privileged just to be there, regardless of what color the medal around their neck might be.

Even if it contains some lead and smells like paint.

6 comments:

Monkling said...

I'm with you on that. Every word.

So in your fantasy, if you were going to complete in something, what would it be? Personally I'm kinda torn. I think it would have to be something fast. Maybe running but, then skating is even faster. But those suits they have to wear? Ugh!

Flea said...

I watched a little Olympic action over the weekend, but I haven't gotten into them in years. I try. Really. Last winter Olympics and the 24/7 Curling event just about did me in.

Lanny said...

I made the same comments! Really, what you said is nearly word for word what I said to my mom! Great minds think alike, huh?

ashley said...

i'm also an olympic addict... i love them. secretly, i always wanted to be a figure skater or a gymnast. Still daydream that its never to late to start...

~*~Snappz~*~ said...

Ahh, the Olympics.

So, I'm about 10 kilos overweight and can barely swim 50 metres, (I'm sooo much happier just splashing around in the pool) but I am convinced that I do actually have an amazing talent for swimming. Seriously. If I was in Beijing 2008 I would have taken home at least three medals by now ... :-)

I've also recently become an expert on several events, and spent today judging the sync. diving and the gymnastics and the beach volleyball and the basketball and the boxing ...

Have you seen the Chinese womens gymnastic team? It looks like it's made up of kids aged 10 - 12. It's kinda sad/freaky.

P.S. Please do something about that Michael Phelps guy. He's not letting any of our Aussie guys win anything! Aussie, aussie, aussie! Oi oi oi! (*lol*)

asthmagirl said...

I felt the same way over the French teams response to their second place finish. I thought it reflected very poorly on them.