Change in Plans

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

So I went back to work today. I realized as I was walking out the door that I was going to work in the exact same clothes I went to work in on the first day last year. And then I cried a little because no way should I have such a clear memory of that. Note to self: get a hobby.

Anyways, it was a typical day at work. I did get asked about 200 times, "what are you doing here?" Or it's sister question, "are you back?" I've decided that tomorrow I'm going to wear a shirt that says, "Yes I am back. Don't ask." There's no polite way to say, I'm back because I needed the money, so I'm just saying that there's been a change in plans. Which is a code for, every thing I thought I'd sorted out went to hell in a spectacularly decorated handbasket called this summer. And no, I don't want to talk about it.

The day was otherwise relatively uneventful aside from being called Amy instead of Katie. I mean, I can see how if you really blur the words and don't listen carefully, then...nope, they still don't sound alike. But considering that a year ago the head administrator asked me who I was in front of all the new students and parents over a microphone, Amy is not so bad. Amy I can live with.

After work, Amy I had a psychiatrist appointment in Metairie. Since my work is closer than my house is to that area, I decided to run some errands instead of driving home just to then turn immediately around and drive back in that direction. My only real attainable errand this week is to pick up the forms from my allergist's office so I don't have to leave work too early on Thursday to get that done. I printed out directions on Monday (when I'd planned to do the errand) so I retrieved the directions from the floorboard of the front seat and started driving. And when I arrived at the building I took the GREs in, I realized that I was holding the wrong directions and had absolutely no idea where I was supposed to be going. Story of my life.

So I did what any woman with time to kill before a doctors appointment would do. I went to Ann Taylor. I spent a good 30 minutes with Ann, killing time, and walked out, proudly I might add, with just one item. A very cute black work appropriate dress. I did not spend an extra 5 dollars to get a bonus savings card because that 5 dollars would've become 20 and then I'd have had a bonus savings card that I'd have had to spend, and well, it's a vicious cycle. Be impressed with my restraint.

And so I headed to the psychiatrist's office, praying for a short appointment wherein she'd tell me that I don't need to come back for at least 6 months and oh, here are your pills. And instead I walked up the stairs to her waiting area where I found a sign that stated that "Dr. Crazy is out sick today. Please call to reschedule."

Wha?

This is not the way things are done. If you are not going to be at work and you have appointments scheduled, you call the appointmentees and TELL THEM. Because otherwise they might spent 15 dollars in gas driving aimlessly around in Metairie, 50 more at Ann Taylor while waiting for their appointment to arrive and all their sanity at a totally wasted afternoon.

Universe? Please get your shit together.

What? I said please.

6 comments:

Monkling said...

Okay, having worked for... (trying to think way far back into my past life) 4 different doctors, what the hell is up with that? If a doctor isn't in, they're supposed to have someone call to change your appointment. I know this. I was the one who did the calling. Or do psychiatrists play by different rules?

Come to think of it, when we were trying to find one, they all seemed to have answering machines instead of real people. Call me old fashioned but I think that's rude, to just have a note on the door.

Anonymous said...

I went to the Ann Taylor outlet the last time that I was at my trust outlet mall, and I must say, nice stuff! Unfortunately, the sizing magic that works for you didn't work for me, I'm still a double-digit size. But, the clothes were cute and the size tag is on the inside, so no biggie. :) Now, to get a job at which I can wear the cute clothes...

Anna in IL

Flea said...

You did say please. Maybe the Universe will listen.

Love your new look. :)

Daisy Duke said...

I'm sort of freaked out that we both had our first day back at work (to a job we both hoped we'd said goodbye to earlier in the year) on the same day.

And? I'm totally with you on the Aleve rattle.

(Also the next time airline people screw with you, email me. I know people, if you know what I mean. That and sometimes I know the magic phrase that will let them know they can't screw around with you anymore.)

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I get called Julie at work all day long. My name is Jenny. I've worked here 7 years.

nola said...

I'd have gone back to Ann Taylor. For sure. Errrr.