Blogging the Recession

Monday, August 4, 2008



The brilliant mom behind Motherhood Uncensored suggested this concept last week, and not only was it a great idea, but also came with a cute button.

Anyway, basically what she said was that hey, July? It was kind of crappy for everyone. Between gas being so outrageously expensive that you have to really give thought to whether you want to go anywhere and just unfortunate things popping up left and right, well it's time that we all had something good happen.

So here's the idea. We're going to make August better by supporting each other. Read new blogs, read more blogs, read more than one page of a blog. Even leave a comment. I know I'm not the only person who gets giddy when they see that a blog they're particularly proud of has 10+ comments. Or that on a day I really need support, I clearly have it from all of you. So for the month of August, I am going to blog the recession. I'm going to read more, I'm going to comment more, I'm going to help each of you, if only by increasing your stats one little click at a time. It's not about inflating stats, it's about supporting a person through their blog.

I am already finding August to be better than July, which is a great miracle. No, my head has not stopped hurting (believe me, the presses would've been stopped and the world might possibly have stopped spinning on its axis if that was the case) but when my car wouldn't start yesterday and (I um, might have cursed karma for balancing out my reasonably decent GRE experience), it did magically start on its own when AAA came out. Yes, it was obnoxious, but it didn't cost me another 200 dollars as with the battery and tire experiences of this summer thus far. (Wait, did I just guarantee that my car wasn't going to start when I tried to go to work today? Crap.)

So now go out and have a better August and give some thought to Blogging the Recession. Never underestimate the power of supporting another person.

10 comments:

Sophmom said...

Great idea! Maybe if enough of us "blog the recession" the reality will sink in for those still in denial. Thanks!

I hope you're planning on coming to Rising Tide. It's such a great chance to meet other bloggers with similar interests, and especially to make friends with other New Orleanians & a whole big group of folks who, for one reason or another, love New Orleans.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You want me to read MORE blogs than I already do? I'll do it for you but you get to tell Mr. Hallisicle why I'm not paying enough attention to him!

Hallie

lace1070 said...

I am all for a change for the better ~ August IS going to be a much better month ~ I can already tell.

Ness said...

Glad your car didn't cost you a small fortune.

Yeah, August is going to be an interesting month, especially if the son does not get paid.

Now, are you going to check in with your neuro and find out about your headache or do I need to come down there and hunt you down? :-)

Overflowing Brain said...

I have myself on the cancellation list at the neurologist, but that was the best they could do. I also made appointments with an allergist and a gynecologist incase it's allergy/hormone related. I'm surviving and that's really the key.

I'll let you know as soon as I know anything.

Daisy Duke said...

I like the changes & I'm all for blogging the recession...although I don't know if I can read anymore blogs!

nola said...

Sorry, but can barely keep up with the blogs I already read :(

tata said...

I'm leaving comments for everyone on Kristen's list :) It's the least I can do!

TheAngelForever said...

I just joined the Blog the Recession. Such a great idea and fun as well. Another fun perk is finding great new blogs to frequent :)

Daisy said...

Good cause and a cute button - works for me! I'm in!