A Plan

Monday, July 14, 2008

If my earlier blog didn't indicate it, this job thing has been weighing me down. Earlier today, during a mix of stress from my chemistry exam studying and the job situation, I stopped what I was doing and had a conversation with God. I'm not sure we've been on great terms since I perhaps said some unkind things after the incident in Hawaii, however, I prayed. For the first time in a while. I didn't ask for my job back, and I didn't ask for an A on my exam, I just asked for resolution. If I wasn't going to get an A or a B in chemistry, I just needed to know now so I could drop the class before Thursday. If I wasn't going to get my job back, I needed to know so I could start applying elsewhere. I wasn't looking for miracles, just resolution.

And then I left for my class.

First, I took my chemistry test. It was on 2 chapters, one of which I understood solidly and the other I did not. Not even the tutor who came in to help us could answer the questions I was confused about. It was rough. And I'm not going to say I rocked that because I truly have no idea how I did on it. However, I was able to come up, through my calculations, with one of the multiple choice answers for each question. This is almost unheard of. It doesn't mean I got them all correct by any means, but last week's test involved a lot of situations where I would choose the answer that was closest to my answer, and inevitably, I missed quite a few problems. So if nothing else, I at least guided my own grade this time. I'll know probably know my grade tomorrow.

While I was taking the test, I got a call from my old work.

I have a job.

I have a GOOD job.

I'm actually teaching a subject I'm semi-educated in, as well as the one I've been teaching. This is fantastic, beyond just the getting paid (and therefore being able to eat, pay rent and keep the a/c running), it also means I get to keep my health insurance, it means I'll get a Christmas holiday in which I get to go home to California to see my newest cousin's birth and several other things. It's also going to give me the opportunity to teach a new subject, which while somewhat scary, is a good thing. It's going to give me a chance to re-evaluate and be sure that leaving teaching is the right decision. It's going to allow me to clearheadedly differentiate between not liking teaching and not liking teaching the subject I've been teaching (I didn't hate it, and I don't mind teaching a couple sections of it, I just didn't have any passion for it).

With this schedule I'll get to teach some of my students from my first year at this school, which should be nothing if not interesting. The school is even going to give me the normal pay increase that I'd have received if I hadn't quit at the end of this school year, which is so incredibly generous of them. I was fully willing to take that pay cut and am so pleasantly surprised to not be. I start the first full week in August, which is right after I finish with the GRE.

I'm not going to lie, it was an awful lot of good news all at once, and I'm not going to get holier than thou art, but honestly, I feel like there's got to be a plan in place. Maybe there was a reason all of our things were stolen. I think we've already gained a really great new perspective on what's truly important in life and I can only imagine that there's another lesson waiting for me in this next year of teaching.

And I'm wildly looking forward to finding out what it is.

12 comments:

nola said...

I love a good day! :)

jojo said...

"someone" was listening. Congrats on the good news ;)

Lanny said...

Yea Katie! I hope tomorrow is just as great as today! :)

Anonymous said...

Wohoo :)!!!
Kathy

laura said...

Katie,
I am very happy for you.Finally some good news.
The power of prayer is an amazing thing

stacey said...

That is awesome news! Congrats. I have been having those conversations/praying as well and well it hasn't worked for me so I am glad to hear it works for someone!! :)

I hope you plan on really REALLY enjoying today!

Ness said...

Hi Katie---thanks for stopping by and for your concern and sharing of knowledge. Kiereney had an MRI/MRA and CT scan(x 3) when she was inpatient in May, all showed normal except that one of her left sinuses didn't develop fully but they said it wasn't a problem. Right now this neurologist is looking for increased spinal fluid pressure which he said is a condition they have found in young, slightly overweight women and unfortunately when the original LP was done, the pressure of the spinal fluid was not measured(although they were only looking for abnormal spinal fluid to rule in a dx of viral meningitis. Her fluid was cloudy and her protein was elevated to 61 but no WBCs were present) Amazingly, she had labs drawn today and it took 4 sticks at the hospital lab to get any blood out of her. That seems to be an ongoing prob with her so I will mention it to the Dr.

Thanks so much for sharing your broken foot experience. He really isn't a good surgical candidate so it sounds like the bone growth stimulator would be a godsend. His podiatrist seems very progressive and young so I'm sure he would be receptive to any and all ideas. I hope a new job is on the horizon for you soon.

Daisy Duke said...

Congrats!!!!!! Must be an awesome feeling/weight off your chest. Now enjoy the rest of your "unemployment" (and kick ass in your Chem class)

sunshine1178 said...

Congratulations!

Anna in IL

the queen said...

Ahhhhhhh... something good!

Flea said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yay for answered prayer! I mean, that's what talking to God is, right, even if you weren't asking?

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for some good news.