4 years and 1 month

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gauging by the serious lack of traffic here lately, I think y'all may be tired of the ranting. So I'm switching gears a little bit.

Today marks 4 years since Slappy and I began dating.

4 years ago today, on a drive home from work, a very nervous Slappy asked me if I was interested in him because I had given him no indication of my feelings (a trend he would soon get used to and now that I don't hold back any feelings, one he probably misses).

And my suave response was something to the effect of, "I wouldn't keep going out with you if I wasn't." Yea, I was an ass, I know. But I was also extremely nervous because I LIKED him. I liked him from the day we met and while perhaps I didn't love him from that first day, I reached that point not long after.

I find it hard to put my love for him in different words because I've already said so much about him here, but at the same time, no single blog entry will ever do him justice.

When I set out to write this, I tried to imagine my life without him and I simply couldn't. I wouldn't be here in New Orleans, I wouldn't probably be pursuing a new career, and I can't imagine that I'd be this happy. Simply put, he's what makes me want to get up each morning. He's what keeps me going when I want to quit. He's what keeps me sane when I'm losing my mind. Or sometimes he joins me in the insanity and that's fun too. The past 4 years have been challenging to say the very least, but they have also been without a doubt, the best of my life. We've survived and thrived beyond so many challenges and I think we've become a stronger pair because of it.


Yesterday Slappy and I hit our first marital milestone- 1 month married. I had thought about writing something then, but it occurred to me that the last month has sucked really rather tremendously. I wrote an email to a my friend where I mentioned that the only thing that has gone right in this month is our marriage. And then it occurred to me that that statement is possibly the best one I could make about our marriage.

In the past month we've been robbed, paid massive quantities of money to replace all our things, I've been unemployed, I've driven over a nail and had a profusely leaking boob (which really, on a honeymoon, is everyone's problem). It has been a month unlike any other. And yet, everytime in the last month that I've said something about my husband, or heard myself called his wife, I have grinned like a big idiot.

Being married is by far the coolest thing I've ever done. Giving my life-long love to someone and getting theirs in return is like nothing else I have ever experienced. I feel safe, I feel unconditionally loved and I feel supported. I feel like I can conquer anything. Yes, this job situation sucks, but I know that I have someone on my side, someone who's proud of me for making a really stupid financial decision and because of his support, I know that it will be okay. Yes, this class is slowly leeching out all my sanity, but I know I have someone at home (metaphorically speaking, he's actually bound to the hospital for the next 2 months) who's willing to wait it out until it returns.

Love is not something that you can easily put into words, it's not something you can easily describe or identify to an onlooker. It is the intangible feeling that everything is going to be okay if only because that person is in your life. It's the indescribably happiness that you feel when they walk in the door after a long day of work and it is the warmth and safety you feel when in their arms.

I might not be able to eloquently blog about love, I might not have the right words, but I know how lucky I am to have it in my life.

Happy Anniversaries babe. I couldn't love you more if I tried.

8 comments:

jojo said...

I think your post was quite lovely. I can feel the love ;) It is so good to have that "one" in your life that you can come home to, who understand, who suports and encourages you. I'm one of the lucky one's too...I got a good one. Conrats Mr. and Mrs. Slappy.

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog...sometimes it makes all the difference. Take care.

jojo said...

supports...supports...supports

see I really can spell.

Ness said...

When you've got the love of a good and decent man, you have it all. You might have married one of few of them(good decent men) but I married the other one. :-)Congrats on your first month! I remember celebrating those.

Daisy Duke said...

Darling, it sounds like you have it all. (And hopefully the rest of the "trivial" stuff will work itself out, sooner rather than later!)

nola said...

Bottle it. Savor it. Wallow in it. And when it's a bad day, read this post and remember what's important in your life.

So happy for you!

stacey said...

You are a lucky girl in love! That is one of the sweetest posts I have ever read!!

Lanny said...

Awww.....

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Katie,
Never bored by ranting. If you need to rant, I say rant away!! Don't filter what you want to talk about for us. We're tough, we can take it!!

Plus, I really like how you speak your mind. If you change THAT, I might have to start a 1 woman protest!!

Hallie :)