The Eye of the Storm

Saturday, June 7, 2008

So things have calmed down some. First, I should clarify, we're not getting married until Sunday, so I've got a whole more day of alternating relaxing and freaking out before the wedding.

The rehearsal was the textbook definition of insanity. The MIL threw a small fit because she was standing on the opposite side as she had been standing on during her daughter's wedding and somehow no one ever thought to mention that then her daughter was the bride, where as this time, her son is the groom. There are a lot of educated people in my family and no one thought of this. Frightening. But also, just trying to coordinate 20 people at once was pure chaos. Not to mention that in true family style, most of my family already had drinks in their hands.

And then there was leaving behind the gifts for the flower girl and ring bearer, also known as the only two people who absolutely HAD to have gifts last night because they are 6 or under and you do not promise presents and not deliver. So we had to drive to TF's sister's house, where the nanny was home, but wouldn't answer the door, so I had to open one of the windows and crawl in to get the gifts. It was awesome. We were an hour late to our own rehearsal dinner.

The dinner itself ended up being really nice. Super nice restaurant, our photographer came (long story, but he was great) and I only almost killed my future MIL five or six times. We had a truly great time and I think pretty much everyone enjoyed themselves.

Today, my older sister, my youngest sister, my future sister-in-law, and three of my good friends and I went to Disneyland. I wore mickey ears with a veil (bought for me) all day, we met up with some family at lunch and just had a damned good time. One of the things that Chiari robbed from me was the right to ride roller coasters. It's just not a good idea to let your head bang on things when your brain is under a lot of pressure. Since the surgery, I have been cleared to ride them as tolerated and though I was hesitant, the very first ride of the day was Space Mountain. Admittedly, it jostled my neck a lot, in fact, it was enough that I didn't go near the Rocky Mountain Railroad or Matterhorn because I knew where my limit was, but it was still great. We had a really nice dinner and drinks at the Rainforest Cafe and fun lingerie gifts to boot. Really, just the nicest day I could've imagined. I know some of you are probably thinking that that is a lame bachelorette party, but it was exactly what I wanted. I drank myself into oblivion in college, I have sowed those wild oats, so just being with friends, having a care-free, hassle-free, errand-free day was exactly what I wanted and what I got. It was the picture of awesome.

The Fiance on the other hand, was driven to Vegas for the night. They got a late start and had a small car SNAFU when the car wouldn't start, which they thought was because of the starter, but ended up being because there was a silent alarm on the car and when it goes off, the car doesn't start. It took them a while to figure this out (that's the obvious downside of a silent alarm) and then they were on the road again. He's been there for about 7 hours now and I'm not going to lie, I'm scared for him. Hopefully he'll be returning to his Hooter's hotel room sometime soon to stop drinking and get some rest, but I know that that's unlikely. I also know that I'll be infinitely less stressed out when he's safely back in Los Angeles tomorrow. But be proud of me because I haven't called him once since he got there and you have no idea how much restraint that's taken. Much more than I believed I had.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is manicures and pedicures, then lunch with the sisters, then Sex and the City movie and then a family dinner with my Grandma, Aunt, Uncle, Dad, Step-mom, Mom, Sister and younger Sister. It's going to be an odd group, but a nice last meal before the wedding on Sunday. Everything else is ready for Sunday and I'm just beside myself with excitement over it. TF gave a beautiful speech at the rehearsal dinner which made everyone (my father included) tear up and just reminds me how much I love him.

I can't even begin to explain to you how amazing it is to know that I'm getting married in 41 hours. 41 hours and I'll be someone's wife, and not just anyone's, but my other half, my best friend and the greatest guy I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I can't even put these emotions into words or coherent thoughts, I'm just beside myself with excitement. I simply cannot wait for Sunday to be here.

11 comments:

Kate said...

EE! I must say, your MIL sounds like a special sort of lady :-)

I think your bachelorette sounds completely perfect and I'm completely jealous.

Have an amazing day on Sunday, and an amazing honeymoon!

laura said...

Katie,I am so happy for you.You deserve this. Have a great day
Laura

Cathy in MI said...

Sounds like fun times at Disney - good luck with your wedding. The anticipation is part of the excitement.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you're having such a great time before your wedding. You deserve it. I'm sure your wedding tomorrow will be wonderful!

Lisa C.

Anonymous said...

Hey the bachelorette party doesn't sound lame, it sounds like a lot of fun. I am so glad for you that things are going good. Enjoy today and relax and soak in the wedding, don't let the mil ruin it for you, in any way. Just keep reminding yourself that it is your day! Have an awesome honeymoon with your husband.
Kathy

the queen said...

YOU DIDN'T INVITE THE M-I-L TO THE BACHELORETTE PARTY BUT YOU ASKED YOUR MOM? Did M-i-l have a scheduling conflict? AND YOU DIDN'T reschedulde the party for her?

Like we say at work, "don't expect perfection, you'll have to be satisfied with excellence."

Ant any rate, best wishes. Really, I think congratulations are in order, given your m-i-l.

Flea said...

Oh Katie, I'm so happy and excited for you! Have a fantastic honeymoon! Sounds like the bachelorette party was perfect. :)

Ness said...

Congratulations and enjoy every moment of your wedding day despite the MIL.

Anonymous said...

Even if I got the day wrong, I still say good luck and congratulations! :)

Anna in IL

jojo said...

Congratulations...and soak up every single minute of it. It's the beginning of a new life baby, and it's going to rock!

jj

nola said...

So happy for you. So glad things are done and you are enjoying yourself with your close friends and family. Just a perfect way to slide into Sunday. Which is SOOO, you know, HERE! Have a magical, romantic, delightful wedding. Will be thinking about you all day tomorrow!! Better not post tomorrow night! ;)