The Yat Man

Friday, May 9, 2008

Okay, so a weird thing happened. You're shocked, I know.

On Wednesday The Fiance and I went out to dinner at Le Crepe Nanou, which is arguably my very favorite restaurant. I've never eaten anything there that wasn't outstanding and the fact that you can get a small cup of chocolate mousse to go at the bar, makes me seriously in love with it. As usual, we had a lovely dinner outside on the patio and just relaxed. It was great food and company.

We were seated at a table in front of a table with a man, a woman (who was not his wife, but who he was totally digging), and two little girls, probably about 7 years old. They were totally tolerable as dining partners (save for when one of the little girls turned around to play with the orange cat and proceeded to chew steak with her mouth open in my ear), but I could not help but notice that the man was talking with the thickest Yat accent I've ever heard.

I was in awe of the Yat. I listened intently. And I was spectacularly surprised when all of a sudden the Yat man was speaking to an Asian couple in a different language (I truly do not know which language it was, if I had to guess I'd have said Japanese, but now I'm doubting that a little). But seriously, after hearing my students try to speak spanish through their chalmation accents, I was very entertained at the idea of the Yat man speaking another language fluently. I wondered if it sounded as funny in that language as it did in English.

So fast forward to tonight when I had a craving for Thai food (Nola, so help me, if you even say it, I will hunt you down and rub my armpit all over you), the best I've had is located across the street from Le Crepe Nanou. Before I send all of you there, it is not the cheapest meal you will ever eat, but it is freaking awesome. So we go in and get seated and decide to order an appetizer (Calamari) which was blowing our minds, when the head chef of the restaurant walked over to our table and introduced himself and explained that he was the Yat man sitting behind us at dinner and because of that, he's going to be fixing us something special. For free.

After a fantastic dinner of cashew chicken stir fry (chicken, veggies, cashews and rice) and Thai Coon (shrimp, crawfish, veggies, rice, etc.) he came back out with a free dessert. This man is totally speaking my language, even if it is oddly accented. He came back later with sweet coconut sticky rice with mango, blackberries and strawberries. I can't begin to count the number of times I said "holy crap" in response to what I was eating, but it was a lot, and it was awesome.

So the bottom line here is if you're in New Orleans and you're looking for a great meal, in that little corner of uptown you really can't go wrong. Be sure and tell the chef we sent you.

P.S. Look for a new genre of posts tomorrow: a recipe from my love of baking, to you. Pictures and everything.

P.P.S. In case you were wondering, the insurance company informed me that due to the fact that I'm good about taking generic prescriptions, I haven't met my 100 dollar brand name prescription deductible so I do in fact, have to pay 12 dollars a pill. Whatever, it's done and the staph seems to be resolving, though rather slowly if I do say so myself.

6 comments:

nola said...

LOVE Crepe Nanou. Totally one of my top faves. And I LOVE (and CRAVE) Thai (leaving joke that you put on the table unsaid).

Don't judge a Yat by his accent! And you should have learned by now how SMALL New Orleans is. Everyone is three degrees connected. So don't talk bad about others within earshot of strangers!!

Katie said...

Hey hey, I never talked bad about the Yat man. I was just entertained for the better part of an hour by him.

And now, I will frequent his restaurant in hopes of many free meals.

Pontchartrain Pete said...

I was wondering what happened to the Bangkok Cuisine folks, which used to be under the Rock 'n Bowl. I remember eating calamari there with Nola a long time ago. It was the beginning of my love affair with fish sauce laced with chilis. Awesome then, glad to here it's awesome now.

Daisy Duke said...

Crepe Nanou is one of the many places I salivate over in my dreams. Ahh the mussels. I have a funny story about taking my parents there when they were in New Orleans for my Dad's birthday and he ate his ENTIRE dessert crepe before we were done singing happy birthday. We just sat there in shock.

And oooh, baking. I'm trying to learn how to make cheesecake and I'm not so good at it.

Melissa said...

Since I've lived north of the Mason-Dixon all my life, I had no idea what a Yat was. Thank goodness you included a link for all us silly nawthns who are clueless about such things.

LauraMae said...

I love love love Crepe Nanou too! I live in uptown and just adore this area because of all the little restaurants in walking distance. I have not tried La Thai, but I've heard only good things--I often opt for the Sushi a couple doors down!! I'll think twice next time =)