Katie's Law

Monday, May 5, 2008

I was thinking today about my life and about how it seems to be dictated by Murphy's Law of clusterfuckation. But then it occurred to me that I have an extra variable not accounted for by wise ole Murphy. See, shit in my life primarily goes wrong just after I've gotten it all together. Just after a small glimpse of good, so that I can see exactly what I'm missing.

Like yesterday for example. I had a good weekend. I went shopping, I relaxed, slept in, watched television, studied a little and just overall, sat still. I got a lot of wedding things done and I was genuinely excited about things. Things are falling into place really nicely and well, I was just as pleased as I could be.

Which is why it shouldn't be surprising that I laid down last night to put an ice pack on my still-sore partial-boob and The Fiance noticed a big, red spot. A big, red, swollen spot. A big, red, swollen, warm spot in my armpit. The armpit associated with the partial-boob. If I had to describe it, I would say it looks exactly like the 3 staph infections I had in 2006, only, you know, in my armpit, rather than on my legs or my forehead (yea, I had staph in my forehead. It was, what's the word? Oh yes, disgusting. I have pictures, which are actually highly amusing. If there's enough interest I'll post them tomorrow. Let me know if you're interested in and/or disgusted by the idea).

And I was content to leave it alone and stick to my doctor's appointment already scheduled for tomorrow and silently pray that it was a bug bite, until I started to feel just a little bit exactly like what I felt like when I had those other 3 staph infections. A slight fever (100.3 this afternoon), chills, headache and fatigue. Mostly just obnoxious, but what was missing was the nausea and the feeling of death. Needless to say, I've already taken a Zofran and am getting ready to pop a phenergan for the nausea that has since developed.

And I have to go to work tomorrow because I am both out of sick days and out of money. I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for 2:30 with the surgeon who said they'd culture the red spot tomorrow (not sure exactly what that involves, but I am certain it won't be pleasant) and figure out antibiotics. I'm hoping that I'm just highly suggestible and this is really like some weird bug bite. But since it doesn't itch and is continuing to grow, it seems like that's less likely by the minute.

I guess considering that I want to do nothing more than lie in bed, I have absolutely no excuse not to be studying right now. I'm just hesitant because I figure that once I learn all the information and get comfortable with it, I'll come down with some severe form of amnesia. You know, all Katie's Law-like.

6 comments:

jojo said...

Oh, now I know what it's called! And all this time I thought I was the only one with the universal target sign on my head. Sorry to hear about your "spot," hoping it will turn out o.k., although your track record does suck. I'll be hoping it's all good news tomorrow. Take care.

nola said...

Zo. Yipes. Hope it's a bug bite. Or least cleared up in less than 5 weeks!

kim-d said...

Now, see, I told you a few posts ago that there was such a thing as Katie's Law of Medical Mishaps (or some such like that). It's true; this proves it's true. If it can happen, it will--only in a much more eff'd-up fashion than for other people. I am SO hoping it's only a bug bite; perhaps angry relatives of the roaches you've offed? But I'm thinking not, because of Katie's Law. If it was me, studying would be DONE. Due to having to obsess about the staph. But, then again, if it was me, I probably wouldn't have been studying anyway because I'm not anywhere near as motivated as you and wouldn't care if I got an A. Which is why I have a shitty job instead of the successful career you will have :). And I'm okay with that. And I want to see the pictures of The Staph, because I've heard of lots of people having it, but I've never seen it. Even if it's disgusting, I still wanna see it. I'll still pray for a bug bite this time, though.

the queen said...

Little infection from the surgery, gone in five-ten days. I'm not holding out hope for a bug-bite, because that means the roaches are getting ballsy.

Flea said...

Oh Katie! Katie, I'm so sorry. I'm almost in tears for you, honey. How frustrating. Still praying for you.

Anonymous said...

are you for real...seriously...