Scheduled

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So had the doctor's appointment. Got a lot of questions answered. Found out that removing a duct amounts to removing about 1/4th of that boob (not that it was big to begin with). Not so cool. Surgery is April 22nd. One week from today.

I now have a prescription for 2 different anti-nausea drugs so that hopefully I won't spend the entire day of the surgery with violent dry heaves. She said that since she began using one of these anti-emetics, she hasn't had a single patient get sick after surgery. I believe that was a challenge. Considering that I wretched on and off the first day after surgery with not one, not two, but three different intravenous anti-emitics, I'm not holding my breath for this one.

I am going to try really hard to make it through this without prescription painkillers at all. The Fiance has made it clear that he will drug me if I refuse them and am in substantial pain, but the doctor said that since I was able to make it through a tonsillectomy at 20 and brain surgery 5 months ago without narcotics (okay, one day of codeine for the brain), that I should be able to. It's probably a stupid plan, but I do not like painkillers and if I can avoid them, I'm going to.

And now I just have 6 days to do everything that needs to be done for the next few weeks, saving myself a substantial amount of time to freak the hell out.

Join me, won't you?

12 comments:

nola said...

Can I have your painkillers? Seems a shame to just let 'em go to waste.

Here's hoping there's no yakking!!

the queen said...

PLEASE tell me you're out of school, or ditching school. You don't need any more stress.

Katie said...

um, I'm *almost* out of school. I'll finish one of my classes the day before the surgery. Does that count?

No? Didn't think so.

Flea said...

Freaking with you. Get your sweetie to buy you a box of rubber bands before the surgery.

Monkling said...

I'm with nola on those drugs. I think you should fill the Rx and then have a contest on your blog after the surgery and the winner gets the drugs. Hmmm.... that would probably be illegal, eh?

You went through a tonsillectomy without drugs?? Geez! Now I feel like a wimp running for the Tylenol when I had strep.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You and John have surgery on the same day.

He'll be inpatient 7 days..

I'll be thinking of you.

Hallie

Lanny said...

Hey, if that new drug works, care to share the name? I take a cocktail of drugs when I have to have anesthesia because it makes me so sick. I'm obnoxiously obsessive about getting it too.

Here's to this being the *perfect* medicine!

Oh, and I love Monk's contest idea. :)

Ashley said...

Hi Katie

I have a question - not sure if it's too personal, if it is, don't answer if you don't want to.

When they remove the duct, do they replace it with anything? Or does it leave an indent in the breast?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and hoping that everything ends up totally normal.

Katie said...

Ashley-

Not too personal. Frankly, at this point, almost nothing falls into that category anymore.

They will not be doing any reconstruction, just removal of tissue. I didn't ask what it would look like (I don't really want to know), but they said that it won't ever really look "normal" again.

Thankfully they aren't super special looking to begin with. :)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Ok, I am IN LOVE with your super hero take on next Tuesday.

I think it may be the TRUE definition of SUPER TUESDAY.

I will be spending my time, in a hospital waiting room, praying for both you and John.

And if it makes you feel any better, your boob may never look great after but John's stomach will eternally look worse! 3 surgeries later, his stomach looks like it went through a meat grinder.

And I still love every inch!

Hallie

lace1070 said...

Take a lot of deep breaths ~ you will get through this and have all kinds of new stories to tell! Your sense of humor amazed me and no doubt serves as a good pain killer. Hugs ~ Lace

Anonymous said...

My husband just had his gallbladder removed and he ALWAYS get sick afterwards, they said he was doomed bc everyone got sick after gallbladder surger. Anyhow, they put a seasickness patch behind his ear and he didnt get sick...might want to try that one.

robbin