Scenes from a NOLA Restaurant

Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Fiance and I decided to go out to dinner tonight, as sort of a final dinner before the surgery and Aunt Helpful arrive. We have a gift certificate to one of our favorite restaurants, Le Crepe Nanou, so we headed out to eat, fully expecting to see a huge crowd and to sit and wait a while for a table. When we approached the restaurant and saw no people waiting outside, we realized that it was Sunday, the day of crepe rest. It should be noted that this is not the first, nor probably the second or third time we've done this at this restaurant, but whatever. Note to self, no LCN on Sundays.

So we considered our options and remembered that we had a gift card to Cheesecake Bistro, which is good, (though no LCN for sure), so we took off down there. We were promptly seated, ordered and began eating, he the shrimp platter, me the angel hair pasta (and about half his shrimp platter). We were at one of the small booths, or as The Fiance calls them "lover's tables" (incidentally this is also what he calls the sweetheart wedding tables...), and it was a nice evening.

Both of us have been under a tremendous amount of pressure lately and our relationship has been suffering for it. We haven't had the time or energy that you really need to put into a relationship and it seems like whenever we do have the time, it is used for wedding errands or bickering, both of which I excel at, by the way. So really, it was truly lovely to be able to spend an evening with him, though admittedly, it was not the romantic affair that we usually have at Le Crepe Nanou.

I realized that the romance was really missing in the middle of the meal when The Fiance, with a large mouthful of toasted bread and a huge grin asked me if I thought he could whistle.

The point was further driven home when walking to the car I pointed out a spot that I had accidentally gotten on the boob of my dress, to which he responded, "well, we'll just have to get you home and take that boob off." He swears it was a slip of the tongue and not a reference to the surgery. Convenient excuse if you ask me, not to mention that it was on the good boob.

But in all seriousness, it was just nice to be us for a while, no pretense, no overwhelming need for good manners, just us. And aside from getting the supremely obnoxious song he got stuck in my head out, I couldn't ask for much more than that.

4 comments:

~~Silk said...

I often think that the secret purpose of big fancy weddings is to test the relationship.

It's nice that you had some relaxed time together.

Lanny said...

My guilty pleasure at The Cheesecake Bistro is their mac and cheese. Mmmm. And double mmmmmm to LCN!

Glad y'all had a nice evening together even if it didn't exactly go as planned. Speaking of which, if it's Sunday, we have a list of closed restaurants that we joke about craving.

kim-d said...

Yup. That's why you're marrying the guy; no matter what all is going on, when it's "us" time, he'll come slammin' home everytime. And, I don't know...you might possibly write me off forever for saying this, but here goes anyway...I think he has been particularly witty lately, and I have laughed. Yes, it's true. I'm sorry. Please understand, I am not making light of any of your situations and I am not, in any way, makiing fun of you (because you know I love you), but the things he has been saying and doing are just plain funny. And he is clearly trying to make YOU laugh, too. So, I say, if at all possible, do that. Everything will be okay; it really will. And I know that's easy for me to say, but there are so many good things in your life that it's a shame to let just a couple (yet extremely intense and important) bad things run every minute of every day. Okay, shutting up now because this isn't coming out the way I want it. You KNOW I'm not minimizing, right? You're covered tomorrow, from here in Minnesota...

Lucy said...

De-lurker here! I must confess that after Daisy (we're schoolmates) linked you on her page, I thought I'd come see what the fuss was about. And then I read your whole blog. (Is that weird?) I think you're neat. Even though I don't know you in person, I'll be thinking good things for you tomorrow!