The Report*

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

So I saw the surgeon for the post-op appointment and pathology at 2 today. The Fiance surprised me by showing up at her office (despite his being on call today) and we got down to business. They did make me wait in that room for an excruciatingly long time and the nurse wasn't allowed to tell me anything. I'm fairly certain that this doctor is trying to kill me.

The pathology of the quadrant (= 1/4 of my already tiny boob) indicated:

-cyst on the surface (totally benign)
-fibrocystic changes
-ductal hyperplasia (can't remember if it was abnormal ductal hyperplasia or not, and that is apparently a pretty important piece of information, if you scroll down on the link it has information about both types)

We are celebrating, because it is good news, but admittedly, not the best news. The hyperplasia is not a fantastic thing to have, especially not at 24 years old. I'm not terribly well educated in it yet, but it would appear that it, at the very least, if it is "typical ductal hyperplasia" it doubles my risk for breast cancer. If it is "abnormal ductal hyperplasia" it increases my lifetime risk FIVE TIMES. Not only that, but it has given me lifetime semiannual check ups with the boob doctor. No really. She said the only way we could be sure there was none left behind was to remove all my breast tissue and that's just crazy talk.

She removed all but one stitch (um, yea, having stitches removed from your boob is not the most pleasant experience ever, The Fiance kept asking if I wanted to watch, um, no thank you. I can feel it just fine without seeing it), and I have to go back in a week to get the last one out (and I'll get the pathology clarified). I have adhesive leftovers over about half my chest which is leaving me ridiculously sticky. I can shower again, but cannot soak in the tub until the stitch comes out. At least my hair will stand a chance at not being a greasy mess and I can actually shave my right armpit. Yea, you're welcome.

Good news. Not the best news, but beggars can't be choosers and for now, this will certainly do.

*9pm afterthought- I'm not really as okay with all of this as I originally thought. As such, I am going to take a short hiatus for a few days. I am finding that I cannot rebound back to normalcy in the way that I think I should and I am tired of apologizing for not being better or happier or whatever superlative you want to insert here. It's not anyone's fault, it's my own expectations, I just need some time. I'm sure it won't last long, but I just need to take a breath.

14 comments:

Monkling said...

Pretty good news, eh? But, then, with all of us praying, what else would it be?

When I had residual adhesive in the same area, I used non-acetone nail polish remover to get rid of it although obviously you're not gonna want to get too close to the incision with that. (I know you know what I meant but I don't want anyone else thinking I'm trying to kill you.) Also, you might try baby oil.

Ness said...

It could have been worse, trust me.

All in all, now you're living like everyone else. None of us are assured the next nanosecond, but you know that. I'm glad you can put this to the side for now and enjoy your upcoming wedding. And I'll apologize now for being snide but my cancer is being very real today and making me say ugly stuff. And having been through medical stuff, I know you understand that and why I have to go ahead and say what I feel. And if you don't, then I am really sorry. Sometimes you just have to be there for yourself and this was one of those times.

nola said...

Get some rest and stay informed! And enjoy The Fiance :)

the queen said...

Gah! Sure, it could have been worse. But still, the sword of Damocles hanging over your BOOB?

Give that fiancee a blowjob for me.

the queen said...

Ness - What I did was type, then publish my comment, then read all the other comments. On re-reading ALL the words, I realize you might misinterpret my comment as a reaction to yours, which it wasn't.

Kelly said...

It is good news.... I knew it would be! I was thinking of you yesterday! Just keep thinking positive! Enjoy your upcoming wedding and all the hectic things that go along with it LOL

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Take your time. We'll be here when you get back.

You've had a ton of things happen in the last few months, and you've got a wedding(!) and honeymoon(!) and other exciting things in the next few. It's perfectly normal to be overwhelmed.

Anna in IL

Daisy Duke said...

*Hugs*

Take all the time you need!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Take all the time you need. We will be here waiting for you when you return.

And as far as feeling bad for not being upbeat? I say be as miserable or happy as you want. And don't apologize to anyone. It's your boob and your life = you can cry over it if you want to.

Hallie :)

Anonymous said...

You have been through so much and my prayers will continue to be with you. Don't worry about anyone but yourself! I hope that you can distract yourself with happy visions of your wedding and honeymoon.

Lisa C.

Lanny said...

Hugs! Looking forward to your return, though I completely understand the break.

Flea said...

You go breathe. You're right - this isn't bad news, but it's not really anything ... definitive? No. Not great. I mean, it's good, I'm sure, to know that you have to keep an eye on it so you catch something before it gets out of control.

In the meantime, as everyone else has pointed out, you have a wedding and honeymoon to look forward to! I'm hoping you're still headed to Hawaii? And you're going to LIVE, dammit! :D

jojo said...

No need to apologize. You've certainly earned the right to take a deep breath and some time with your thoughts. Hell, if it was my boob, poor little thing, i'd be pretty concerned too. Keeping good thoughts for you and awaiting your return.

jojo