MedProm 2006

Sunday, April 13, 2008

First, there's nothing like 3 posts in a day, but frankly, I think I've been too down on The Fiance today, so I thought perhaps it was time I share a story that was both funny and flattering to him. Because, though he has a warped sense of humor, he is still a really fantastically good guy and I think sometimes I forget to mention that.

You may or may not have heard about this really big hurricane that hit the New Orleans area in 2005. Well, that bitch forced The Fiance's medical school to relocated to Houston for a year. To say that he was unhappy there would be like saying that brain surgery felt like a paper cut, it's just not quite strong enough. When we found out that there was a med prom being held, I booked a flight to leave Friday night to Houston and returning home late Sunday night. We both needed to see each other and just spend some time relaxing.

He picked me up from the airport Friday night and we immediately got really lost. At one point we reached a sign for Austin, but about an hour later looped back around to Houston and found our way to his temporary apartment. I was jet lagged and tired, but I slept like a rock that night, which I remember clearly because I did not hear him get up that morning and do something fantastically wonderful.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Yea. That's right, chocolate covered strawberries were made while I was sleeping. And when I finally dragged myself out of bed, he was already cooking breakfast to go with the strawberries. I made the pancakes and he took care of everything else.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It was wonderful. We spent the rest of the day relaxing and just enjoying seeing each other. At that time we were living 1500 miles apart and I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but that sucks, to put it mildly.

That night we got all dolled up for the MedProm. We went to dinner at a Brennan's owned restaurant in Houston (it might have been called Brennan's) with some of his friends, most of which I'd never met, most of which are now good friends. I ordered the gumbo and an entree that I don't really remember (after the appetizer, much of the evening was a blur). My gumbo was awesome, The Fiance's Turtle Soup was lovely and I even ate one of his fried oysters (there had been some in my gumbo, but to my knowledge I did not eat any). About 10 minutes later I knew something was wrong. Having food allergies, I can tell pretty quickly when I've eaten something I shouldn't. But the thing was, I hadn't eaten any eggs or pine nuts or star fruit, or demerol for that matter, so I did not know what was wrong. It was far too soon for food poisoning, but I felt as though I was possibly dying.

As dinner progressed, I was sweating from head to toe, with chills, cramps and the most horribly itchy throat ever. I managed to make it through dinner, but on the way to the MedProm (which is held at a museum), the situation became, um, urgent, to put it mildly. Thankfully, just as I was approaching the point of having a really serious problem, we got to a museum with a bunch of people in the general area where our event was being held. We valet parked and I literally ran for the bathroom. Where I stayed for the better part of 45 minutes. Thinking all the while that I was dying. With the Fiance standing outside the ladies room the entire time.

When I finally emerged, now with hives in my armpits and pretty much covering the entire surface of my torso, The Fiance informed me that we were actually at the wrong museum. Yea. He spent 45 minutes standing outside the bathroom at the wrong party. Not embarrassing at all.

We did eventually get to the correct party, but between the anxiety meds I was popping and the allergy pills (the anxiety meds actually help significantly to make my colon chill the hell out, not to mention helping me with the entire body chills), I was pretty out of it. I know that there was alcohol, which I didn't have, and I know that there were a lot of people, but otherwise, I remember virtually nothing.

I know that he took super-good care of me, got me home and tucked me into bed where I slept in a benadryl induced coma for probably 12 hours. When I woke up he had heated up the leftover breakfast for me and had planned and bowling miniature golf trip (if I was up to it, which I was) all in enough time so that I'd make my flight that night.

So MedProm 2008 may not have been his finest night (in all seriousness, he was joking, though in all seriousness he knows that he was being an ass too), but MedProm 2006, despite the sucktacular nature of discovering publicly that I was allergic to oysters, was one of those nights that I'll always remember.

He's a good guy and in 56 days he'll be a great husband.


Flea said...

What a sweety pie! It's always good to be reminded of the things we're grateful for when ugly things happen. You have quite a bit to be grateful for.

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's a really good story! Yay for The Fiance!!! We forgive him his tomfoolery of last night ;)