Looking Forward

Friday, April 11, 2008

It seems that things are finally starting to get better. In fact, I'm pretty sure I laughed today, and not the kind you do to try and pretend like you're not crying, so that's a start, right?

We got a "provisional" refund from our credit card for the airline bumblefuck, which is really great. We even got our 14 dollar expedia fee back, which I'm thrilled about. I also think I have secured my wedding officiant and we are about 10 paces away from having (free!) limo service and hotel rooms blocked off. Indeed, it seems that the world has begun to spin once again.

I'm still not sleeping well, I'm still stressed and worried and all the synonyms I'm unwilling to look up right now, but it seems more manageable today, and that's a victory I'll happily take. The Fiance is likely able to get days off more easily than he anticipated and that has helped ease a big concern. Not the biggest one, but again, even small victories are taken here.

Tonight, I relax and recover from the week. Tomorrow is paper-writing and MedProm, only the non-alcohol version, which is sure to put a damper on the situation. I really need to come up with a good reason to not drink because somehow I see that whole (NOT TRUE) pregnancy confusion re-emerging if I don't drink. Frankly I don't feel like telling everyone it's because my boob is jacked up.

So good non-drinking ideas are welcome and appreciated. And if they're really good, I'll tell you the terrible tale of MedProm 2006. Also known as the night I found out that I was allergic to oysters.

10 comments:

Pontchartrain Pete said...

Our dates used to sneak in booze to Tiger Stadium when we were at LSU by putting Wild Turkey in double zip-lock bags, then padding their bras with said zip-locks. I can't help you with any non-drinking ideas because I don't have any.

~~Silk said...

The usual designated driver ploy.

Or "Booze makes my skin smell bad, and I have other plans (wink) for tonight." Just don't eat anything spicy - that'll blow the cover.

kim-d said...

The old "Hi, my name is Katie and I'm an alcoholic" deal will guarantee nobody asks you anymore questions about your non-drinking-ness. In fact, it might even guarantee nobody asks you questions about anything. Which, in some cases, is a very good thing. I personally think it is cruel and unusual punishment that you have to go this thing and NOT drink, though. How on earth will you ever dance? I don't know about you, but the only time I dance REALLY GOOD is after having imbibed copious amounts of rum-based drinks.

Well, so I'm certain I haven't been real helpful, but I AM glad your week ended on a less sucky note. Have a good time in all your sober-ness tonight!

Anonymous said...

If you get club soda with a lime, it looks like a serious drink, and should ward off questions.

Anna in IL

nola said...

CS asked, when I read him this post, "She's pregnant?" Doh! He recommends you tell people you are a recovering alcoholic. In his defense, he himself once used this approach, and oh it was effective. But then we had to hear about how others had failed the 12 Step program. On second thought, that was more tedious than being bugged to drink.

Now CS recommends you tell people, "It makes me horny" or "It gives me double vision and I can hardly stand looking at one of you." He has more where that came from...

I'd tell people I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection....

As Pat O's admonishes: Have fun!

Pontchartrain Pete said...

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I didn't know you were medically forbidden to drink, I thought it was a non-alcoholic event. My point was there are ways around that. Since you can't drink, the club soda & lime is a good idea, or a coke and lime (fake Cuba Libre).

Best would be, if things get dull, just act really, really drunk. That would be fun.

My bad, that's what I get for writing comments after being baked in the sun.

Katie said...

It's cool Pete. The image of someone sneaking bags of alcohol in their bras was appreciated, on topic or not.

Pontchartrain Pete said...

You should probably just block me. Save me from myself.

Flea said...

You should just block my kids. Don't want teen daughter getting ideas about the booze in the bra. Pretty good, though.

I was on a med for awhile which prohibited alcohol consumption - for blood sugar? But then you'd have the diabetic diatribes with that excuse. Nah - you've already got some pretty good covers here. I vote the fake drinks.

Flea said...

My Hunny found out at a New Year's Eve party that he's allergic to salmon. Isn't it great, at a party? And oysters! In NOLA!