Tattle Tail

Thursday, March 13, 2008

So I was confronted with one of those life situations today that they prepare you for in elementary school. You know, like being offered drugs, etc, only this time it was in the form of cheating. See, one of the classes I'm taking right now (incidentally, the one I have a D in), is an online course, and all the tests except the final exam are taken at home and are open book, however, it has been made painfully clear that we're not to work together on the exam, because that would constitute cheating. There's a time limit on these exams and thus, I understand the line and I respect it.

So I get an email today from a classmate to the whole class:

"Would anyone like to get together and work on Exam 2 as a group. Email if you're interested."

Normally I wouldn't care, BUT, my success in this class is incredibly dependent upon other peoples' failures because it's a very very curved course. Like how I have a D, but probably am within the top 15% of my class. So this was not good. And I toiled with it for a moment and then knew that all those years of elementary school training had paid off, I had to tattle.

So I emailed the professor, forwarded her the email and she's dealing with it. I feel like a gigantic shmuck, but I think karma appreciated it, because the exam that I took was not the same ridiculously difficult exam as last time, it was a selection of 10 old homework problems with some of the numbers changed. And while I don't have the score yet, I can safely assume I did better than a D, which makes everything (which is saying a lot since pretty much everything else in life is in the crapper right now) seem much better.

So I feel like a 6 year old, but a 6 year old who got an A on her physics exam and who probably did the right thing.

9 comments:

Monkling said...

Ya know, it's one thing for someone to do something wrong if it only affects them. It's a completely different matter when that wrong deed affects others.

Years & years ago, I was on the black list at my parish because a priest was doing something he wasn't liturgically supposed to be doing (no, nothing horrible, people, pretty minor stuff) and he mistakenly thought I tattled on him to the bishop's office.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I do not like those situations. My dh and I also "did the right thing" today, and I really, really hope it's not going to bite us in the behind. Maybe karma will smile on us all.

Anna in IL

the queen said...

Not only do I think this was the right thing to do, I think the professor sent out the email under a false address and your entire grade will be based on whether or not you pass this ethical test.

Nola said...

Love the Queen's theory. Your classmate? What kind of idiot emails it to the whole class? NOT someone you'd want to cheat with--you'd clearly be the smart one carrying his dumb ass!

Daisy Duke said...

Good for you. Situations like that are hard...you can always remember you took the high road.

Ness said...

Tough call, great choice!

I tell my kids that at the end of the day they have to be able to look in the mirror and respect the one staring back from it. Proud of you!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Kudos dealing with a shitty situation.

Hallie :)

lace1070 said...

You totally did the right thing! I used to hate the cheaters and would intentionally put down the wrong answers while they were craning their neck to cheat and then change the answers to the correct ones.

Flea said...

Good for you. To ditto Monkling, it's one thing to tattle because you don't like someone, another when it's something which potentially effects/harms others.