Setbacks

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Today was a day of health setbacks and I'm just not in a funny mood at the moment.

I won't bore you with all the details (because it goes far beyond the brain and I'm just not feeling that share-y), but the most disconcerting problem is that my hand strength, particulary my left hand, has decreased dramatically over the past week or two. When I went in for my physical therapy evaluation at 10 days post-op, my hand strength was 50 (units of pressure) on the right and 25 on the left. Today the right was 20 and the left didn't even register, but the physical therapist called it "maybe almost 5." This is not a good thing, especially since my left arm was severely impacted by the chiari before the surgery, and it seems it's taking more of the hit of whatever's going on right now too. I actually dropped the 2 pound hand weight at physical therapy, even though I was focusing specifically on gripping onto it. Something is not right.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon, both for the "spitting" stitches and for the hand problems. If you believe in a higher power, I would more than appreciate you calling on them for me. I'm trying not to let this get me down, but I'm scared and I'm unsure of what's next in this never-ending journey.

5 comments:

Nola (nolanotes.com) said...

I am not especially spiritual, and so I don't know if anyone will listen, but, sweetie, I will send up some thoughts to a higher power for you tonight.

All the best wishes.

Monkling said...

You have a ton of NY prayers.

Lanny said...

Prayers said!

the queen said...

Prayers to all the gods I know of.

Not that I know, but I'd think if there was any permanent reduction it would be visible right after the surgery. The worst might be that every few months you have a bad hand day.

The best thing I do when Im scared is get information, do exercises, and take my favorite placebo, Aleve.

kim-d said...

I am spiritual and I do believe in the power of prayer and, although you are ALWAYS in mine, I will be saying extra for you. Because I love you in that friendship type of way, and you have gone through ENOUGH. ENOUGH, I SAY! But...I know everything will be okay. Take care and try not to worry too much. I'm just so glad you've got that appointment.