Blogging Meme

Thursday, January 24, 2008

I got tagged by NOLA to do this Meme all about blogging. And even though I already wrote something today, I'm doing it now, because otherwise my blogging schedule for the week is off...kidding...mostly


How long have you been blogging?
Here since late April 2007. Though I don't talk about it much, I have another site that's much more G rated and much more health-centric. I've been writing there since mid-2005. (I'm not linking the other site only because it makes me a little more searchable, if you want the address, leave me a comment or shoot me an email- though I don't think I have the email function set up. I'll work on that)

What inspired you to start a blog and who are your mentors?
When I first started writing in 2005 I was looking for a community and for support for health issues. I was feeling alone and freakish in a world of normals and I needed people who understood, which is exactly what I got. I decided to start the blog as an offshoot of that because a lot of the time I had funnier stories to share and they just didn't fit into the tone or family-friendly nature of the site. Like, for instance, they don't like it when you call people fucktards. Incidentally, The Fiance didn't much like being called it tonight either.

Mentors. Hrm. Well, I've been reading Dooce for about as long as I've been aware of blogs. I channel a little bit of everyone I read, which includes the list to the right and many more. I don't know that anyone is my mentor, I'm a rebel like that.

Are you trying to make money online, or just doing it for fun?
No money because I just can't bring myself to do product reviews and frankly I'm not smart enough to add ads. Also, that's why I'm a teacher, because then I get paid the big bucks. Wait, no, that's why I'm marrying a medical student. Wait, no. Crap.

What 3 things do you love about being online?
1. Frankly, and this is terrible, I'm a comment whore. I love to read them and I'm probably responsible for 1/3 of my 23,000 hits because I check compulsively like 15 times a day to see if anyone has commented. I hope that didn't make you sad for me. Incidentally, if it did, you could comment, that might make me feel better.

2. The support that I get here and elsewhere. Knowing that when I have a day where I'm fed up with the world, or when I need to throw a fit or twelve about my hair, I can do it because that there are people here who are not only going to listen, but comfort me in my moments of total insanity. It's better than therapy. There are days where I'm barely holding it together and y'all are a big part of my ability to do that. This goes hand in hand with the people I've met. I thought it might be cheesy to make that my 3rd thing since it's like the exact same thing, so to all those who come here, who I'm too lazy to link, but who are probably mostly linked to the right of this, as well as those who don't have blogs but read and comment anyway, you're one of the best parts about blogging.

3. I love to write. I'm a pretty awful writer (don't try to tell me otherwise, I had to take remedial essay writing in college, I've made my peace with this), so it's nice to be able to write informally and spread my joy and optimism with the blogosphere. I love having somewhere to tell my stories, even the ones that aren't very funny and I would be lying if I said my life wasn't somewhat enhanced by those moments when I think to myself, "I have to blog about this when I get home."


What 3 things do you struggle with online?
1. Sharing too much v. sharing too little. I don't post pictures of my face right now because if my employer caught wind of the site and could definitively tie me to it, I'd be up a shit creek without a paddle. I'd say that she could make a pretty good case with the scar for proving identity, but at least I could argue that I hadn't revealed myself for everyone to see. On that same note, I have a pretty raunchy sense of humor (you can thank my better half for that, though frankly it's an improvement from the large stick I had up my ass for a number of years) and sometimes I struggle with walking the line between funny and just way too much information.

2. How to balance the funny with the serious. Some days I'm just not funny, but I've set a standard for myself to be funny, so on those days, like yesterday when I was feeling very anxious, I feel bad for not being entertaining. I feel like there's a certain expectation and some days I just cannot meet them. I also try not to make it too much about my brain, but for the past 8 weeks, the vast majority of my life has been focused on my brain, so it's difficult to separate myself from it.

3. I guess just finding the time. I try not to write when I would otherwise be hanging out with The Fiance. We have unspoken rules about the blog, which he reads, (hi honey!) though almost never says anything about (aside from saying that my nose blowing poll might have been somewhat slanted and lacking in some necessary background information...), and since we're both working all the time I don't like to take away from our time to write. But at the same time, there are only so many hours in a day and I certainly can't blog from work so I'm often haphazardly writing a blog from the kitchen whilst I whip up a masterpiece, or like tonight, I write while I'm soaking in the tub.

And while there's more to say, I'm just going to leave you with that mental image. Happy Friday.

(Oh and the linking...

Kim at Life After...

Lanny at My Langiappe

Monkling at her blog

Hallie at The Wonderful World of Weiners aka the best named blog ever

And anyone else who's interested, tag yourself, I'm always happy to add if you want to be added!)

5 comments:

Monkling said...

Oh, Goodie! (goody??) I got tagged! Now I don't have to think up something funny to write about tomorrow.

Nola (www.nolanotes.com) said...

Interesting stuff. One of these days, we will simply have to meet over a cup of coffee.

kim-d said...

I am so glad you crossed over to the blog world; I loved you before, but I always knew there was "more" to you, and I knew without a doubt that there was a whole LOT "more" I could be saying to you. Now we not only can...we HAVE! YAY! And, by the way...FUCKTARD???? BWAHAHAHAHA...yet another thing I'm stealing; I love that! Just like I love you. And thanks for tagging me cause you know how much I love doing those things. Seriously. Now it's your turn not to feel bad over how sad I am :)!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Totaaly will do this in a day or two...

I accept the tag!

Hallie

Ness said...

Hi Katie/Kathryn...I'm Ness. I saw you over at Hallie's and decided to stop by. Off to read your blog. Feel free to stop by www.dachshundstrong.blogspot.com I just started blogging in November and am totally out of my league.