Being Betrothed

Friday, January 11, 2008

I made it all the way through the day today without realizing that 1 year ago today I got engaged. I have many times made fun of how easy it is to remember our engagement date (it's 1/11) and somehow, I um, didn't remember. I also did not realize that we passed another milestone earlier this week- The Fiance and I have now been together for 3 1/2 years. I'm sure most people don't celebrate half-anniversaries, but somehow The Fiance and I have only managed to spend one regular anniversary together so we usually do a little something on the halves.

It occurs to me that I've never shared the story of how The Fiance and I met, so hold on tight, you're going for a ride down memory lane.

I had just returned from a semester abroad in Athens, it was the summer between my Junior and Senior years in college and I had found need for a summer job. After getting hired at an overnight camp in Los Angeles (applying while in Greece), two weeks before the job began I lied to them and told them that due to a broken ankle I wouldn't be able to work there (you'll see why that's important in a minute). I just decided that overnight camp was more responsibility than I wanted and I started searching again. I found out that one of my closest college friends had gotten hired at a swanky day camp in Beverly Hills and suddenly I knew my calling. I had never gone to camp, so I am not a hardcore outdoor person, but camp in BH? That I can do.

I applied, originally for a job as a swim instructor, and ended up getting hired as a counselor for the youngest campers (ages 3 1/2 to 4). I remember mentioning to my friend who had referred me that maybe this was where I'd finally meet a good guy.

After the first night of staff training I knew I was home. I loved it and was excited for more. The second day was long, we were there from like 8 in the morning until 9 at night and the second to last thing on the agenda was a game of Capture the Flag. I readily admitted that I had never played capture the flag (hi, I'm a girl, only have sisters, we don't like to sweat), but I jumped in and tried.

My job was guarding the flag and I took it very seriously. We won the first game and were in the middle of the second one when a huge wave of sprinters (did I mention the entire CSUN track team worked at camp?) came upon the flag area. Behind the sprinters was a non-track star, who if I had to guess probably weighed a good 250 pounds. Said 250 pound guy came flying to the flag and instead of getting out of the way like any other 130 pound girl would, I stood my ground firmly. Until he slammed into me and broke my ankle.

(Do you see why I'm afraid of lying? It never ever works out well.)

250 pound guy was not The Fiance. Once my ear-piercing screams were heard, the camp EMT was sent over and that's when my knight in shining armor appeared. He was the EMT, I was the clumsy new staff member with the broken ankle. Is there a better match in the universe? And after getting me up to a bench with a bag of ice, he sat alone with me and the 250 pound guy who hurt himself in the collision also, and kept me company with all kinds of stories and tails of wonderment until my sister came to take me to the hospital (I drove a stick shift at the time and also couldn't walk with the broken bone, and partially shredded ligaments and tendons).

He called me the next day to see how I was, a week later we were carpooling to and from work, two weeks later we were dating. And of course, 3 1/2 years later, we're still living happily ever after.

4 comments:

verybadcat said...

That's a super cute story. :) Congrats on your anniversary!

Nola (nolanotes.com) said...

Very good story. I agree, though, you should never lie!!

kim-d said...

Awww, Katie, that's incredibly cute! I never knew that story before! I love it...

Lanny said...

Aww, that's sweet!