Holiday HOOPLA

Friday, December 14, 2007

Lanny tagged me for this hoopla, which is actually good because I was trying to come up with something, anything to say, now that I can update the blog a little more regularly.

Here are the rules, as decreed by someone higher up than myself.
1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas
2. Please refer to it as a 'hoopla' and not the dreaded 'm'-word
3. You have to specifically tag people when you're done. None of this "if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged" stuff is allowed...then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you -- but the more, the merrier to get this 'hoopla' circulating through the blogosphere.
4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it and I'd like to get as many people involved as possible.

So here we go:
1. In my family, Christmas begins at around 4pm on Christmas Eve, when we do the Christmas celebration with my Dad and Step-mom's family. However, we do NOT open presents from my Dad/Step-mom, just from their families. It's only the beginning celebration.

2. We actually set alarm clocks for Christmas morning. I know some families do this so that the kids won't get up earlier, but ours are because Christmas? It's a little like a military operation. We rise at 5:45, open Santa and Mom presents from about 6 to 6:30 and then everyone showers (there are 4 of us showering/primping during this period of time) while my Mom makes breakfast (note that step-dad sleeps through all of this), once we're all dressed, we eat with mom and are out the door by 8. 8:30 begins Christmas with my Dad and if we're late we get phone calls every 5 minutes until we arrive. Last year I told him that for every phone call one of his presents was going out the window. He was uphased. That particular Christmas involves another breakfast (not because they don't know we've already eaten, but if some is good, excessive amounts are better), presents and usually a nap. And considering how little sleep we got, it almost inevitably involves someone yelling at someone else. At around one we move to my Mom's family celebration until the wee hours of the morning after Christmas.

3. My mom's family is too large for present giving, so we do a name drawing where you write your name and one or two 50 dollar present ideas on a small piece of paper that someone else draws. People have been known to be funny on these cards (like the year my grandfather wrote that he wanted "sex" for Christmas and we assured him that he did not want 50 dollar sex) and it's almost never good for them.

4. So that there's more than just one pesents we also do dollar gifts for everyone else. The best of these having been silly string (which my grandmother found in the crevaces of her house for literally years after), nerf guns, foam disc shooters, and the year my cousin got everyone sardines.

5. After all the children go to bed, we have what's known as the "get drunk and play loud music party." It begins with tequila, and then tamborines, guitars, harmonicas, drums and those plastic recorders. The neighbors always look forward to Christmas with our family around.

6. In our family, the wise men of the nativity scene make a long journey. Currently The Fiance is kvetching about having them on his bookshelf. It was the farthest place I could find from the nativity scene and eventually they'll travel downstairs for the epiphany. My mother spent many years exasperated about why the Wise men were in her jewlery box or in her favorite pair of tennis shoes. The wise men are SNEAKY.

7. One year, Santa brought us and my cousins each parakeets. Only my cousins parakeet somehow kicked the bucket between midnight and 6 in the morning when they lifted the sheet to see the bird. That will forever be known as the Christmas that Santa brought death. I remember my cousin asking why they didn't just get coal instead.

8. One year my youngest step-sister came downstairs, saw her Santa present and said, "Maybe if I go back to sleep he'll bring me what I really wanted."

9. This year I did almost every single bit of Christmas shopping online. And even better, I had it sent to California, so my step-dad has had to make, um, like 10 trips to UPS to pick things up. Oopsies.

10. I got The Fiance an awesome present and so far have managed not to tell him what it is. This would make the first Christmas that I haven't somehow managed to tell him ahead of time, what he's getting.

11. I'm getting tickets to see Keith Urban in concert! I know this because The Fiance is also not good at keeping secrets and it was also my Hanukkah present, so I got to find out about it on the last night of Hanukkah (he got a present, so I didn't have to spill my real present secret).

12. I'm tired just thinking about Christmas and there's a good chance that I'm going to play the brain surgery card to get out of parts of it. I've never been able to come up with a good excuse for missing any of it (including the flu, chicken pox and various other calamities), but this year, this year I think I have a winner. I know, my Christmas spirit makes your soul quiver with happiness.

Okay, now the tagging. This is a challenge because so many of you who sign don't have blogs, so here goes nothing: Marriage-101, NOLA and The Queen. I don't know that any of them will do the HOOPLA (I aimed high, they're all higher traffic blogger than myself, I feel like a high school Freshman asking a Senior to the prom) and I know the rules say not to, but if you want to be tagged and weren't, it can be arranged.

Done. Regular posting will resume shortly.

6 comments:

Marriage-101 said...

12 things?! Holy crap. Okay, in the spirit of Christmas,and because I like you so much, I will do this. For you. :)

the queen said...

I was tempted to make it eight things and do it for Hanukkah. But the it became 12.Thanks!

kim-d said...

You did good with the Hoopla, Katie!

I just need to tell ya the break's over...hehehe. I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to NOT blog. Such a geek, is what I am. But a nice geek who loves you and is happy you and The Fiance got to go out to dinner.

Zayrina said...

OMFG, #7. I laughed so hard I suffered urinary incontinence.

Nola (nolanotes.com) said...

Poor parakeets! Thanks for thinking of me!

Nola (nolanotes.com) said...

Tag; you're it again! No pressure; just for fun.