Autumn-ness

Monday, November 12, 2007

After seeing Nashville and realizing that in place that aren't New Orleans (where it's going to be 80 degrees tomorrow) are experiencing fall, I had a need today to have little bits of things that remind me of fall. And since I still can't seem to locate my sense of humor, I'm going to share with you a lovely simple fall recipe, because really, you should make this. My mom gave me the recipe, the first time she made it was for Thanksgiving a year or two ago. After frosting the cake the grabbed the cinnamon sugar out of the cabinet to sprinkle on top and about halfway through covering the cake in a generous blanket of what she thought was cinnamon sugar, she realized she had in fact, grabbed garlic powder. She claims she scraped the frosting off and re-did it, but it absolutely had a garlic after-taste. So here's the recipe. I prefer it sans-garlic.


Pumpkin Cake

Ingredients:
-One small can of pumpkin (I don't remember how many ounces, but you can get the big-ass can or the small can of pumpkin puree NOT pie filling, and you want the non-big-ass one)
-One spice cake mix
-Cream cheese frosting (absolutely optional)

Directions:
-Put cake mix and pumpkin into bowl. Mix. Pour (it will be thick, so it'll be more like scoop) the batter into a greased 9x13" pan. Bake according to cake mix directions. You can't undercook this, there are no eggs in it, so it's okay if it's soft, it's much more dense than a regular cake.
-When cool, frost with cream cheese frosting. Or don't. Or if you're one of those health freaks, you can put a dollup of cool whip on it. Or nothing, because it's pretty good alone too.

Pictures could be forthcoming, but considering the number of things I should be doing right now and the vast quantities of cake I'd like to eat over the next day, that seems dubious at best.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you make them into mini muffins of larger muffin tins OR my favorite the pans that cook the batter so you only have "muffin toppers."

Would have to work on the time in the oven

Jodi
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jodi1

Susie said...

I LOVE this cake! Seriously it's the easiest cake recipe. :)

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I think I will try this recipe for Thanksgiving. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you.
Take care, Sherri

www.caringbridge.org/oh/kara

Tammy said...

Has to be the best cake that I have ever made !! I also added raisons to it for a little different texture !!