6 things I am thankful for

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I am thankful for:

6. My friends. I hate my job with a burning passion, but there are a lot of really nice people who work there. They have made my transition out of work so much easier than I thought it would be (that's not true, a little part of me imagined running out of there with my hands up screaming "I'm free" and never looking back, that probably would've been easier than coordinating all my materials) and they gave me a lovely present yesterday at a nice lunch, which was a complete surprise to me. I don't know how I'd manage this whole situation if it wasn't for them. Well, except the ones who were bent over at the waist laughing at me yesterday when I got called up and prayed for in front of the whole school. I'm not thankful for those ones.

5. Technology. Were it not for technology I wouldn't be on this blog or able to spread my...um...wisdom. Yes, wisdom. And love. And optimism. I wouldn't be having the impending neurosurgery that could potentially provide such a renewed quality of life (speaking of which, um, did I mention I'm going to have to take a short blogging time out? Yea, because apparently this brain surgery stuff is moderatly painful and I'm going to need to rest, who knew?). I wouldn't have so many of the things that are a crucial part of my life. And maybe this seems superficial, and maybe it is, but I know that technology has enhanced my life so greatly that I am thankful for it. And in this category is all the people I've had the pleasure of "meeting" through technology. I'm thankful for you, you, you, you, you, you and all of the rest of you reading who I can't link to, but who I'm so very thankful to be able to interact with over the world wide web.

4. My faith. My beliefs and the higher power that I believe in, are a huge part of my ability to get up in the morning. I don't want to preach because I believe that we are all entitled to our faith and that it is very personal, but I am ever so incredibly thankful for the security that mine brings me and the kindness of others sharing in it with me.

3. My cat. I can't tell you how much I love her. The fact that she actually meows all angry like when The Fiance sneezes, or how she's got severe enough Stokholm Synodrome that if you hold her in your arms against her will long enough she'll start purring. I love her and am thankful for her, even if she loves The Fiance more than me.

2. My family. My family drives me crazy. Literally outright insane, but they are such a huge part of who I am and how I came to be. Not all of my past was good, my childhood was far from ideal, but there was never a lack of love for me from the people important in my life. The fact that I caused my grandmother to breakout in quarter sized hives from the sheer thought of my having brain surgery (I'm not even joking) and that my family is campaigning people to pray for me is just overwhelming. I'm so thankful for all of them, and I love each and everyone, even if I don't really like them some of the time.

1. My man. He's not perfect, but he's perfect for me. And yes we fight, and yes we argue, and yes we have hit a bumpy road recently, but I know that 30, 40, 50 years from now, he is the person I want next to me, no matter how bumpy the road we're travelling is. I have never felt so loved or felt as much love for anyone as I do everyday that I'm with him. It's amazing and wonderful and exciting to know that I have the rest of my life to experience this love, and there's no way to explain how thankful I am for that.

6 comments:

kim-d said...

Katie, this is a beautiful post, truly beautiful.

I am honored to be one of your "you's"--thank you! On this Thanksgiving, one of the things I am thankful for is you. You have been a part of my life for quite some time now, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

And just so you know, I completely understand how much you love Karma. I feel the same way about Frank and Nancy. There are undoubtedly lots--probably millions--of people who could not possibly understand this. They obviously do not have cats. I love mine so much, too.

Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving, Katie. I pray for you and your big ole brain everyday, and I have complete and total faith that your surgery will be successful and that this will be the start of a greatly enhanced "best life" for you!

Big Momma Pimpalishisness said...

You and I have some of the very same things to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

the queen said...

Okay, I know I rolled over "you" thinking "me?" Thanks for including me!

About the surgery, I really recommend this "Aleve" shit. It's the best placebo ever.

Lanny said...

Awww, thank YOU! I'm thankful for you too. :)

Praying that your surgery is successful, as pain-free as possible, and you have an easy recovery. I know you won't be up to posting, but I'm certain many of us would love it if the fiance (or somebody) could post "She's doing great!" to let us know how you are. I know most of us don't know you in real life, and I know he'll have far more important things to do, but many of us really do care!

Happy Thanksgiving! Take care!

Maria said...

it sounds like you have a truly lovely life. congratulations- if only we could all be so blessed.

Nola said...

Aw, shucks, I'm all flushed over here! Thanks for adding me on your list. Sounds like you have a good grip on what's important in life.

May you always have great friends, solid family and a good man!