10 things you don't know about me

Saturday, November 17, 2007

I've decided to embrace the panic over the surgery and do a number themed meme each day between now and then. If nothing else it'll guarantee a few minute reprieve each day from whatever excessive amount of work I'm surely doing. Since the brain surgery is 10 days from now...

10 Things you don't know about me

10. I snore, apparently quite loudly. The neurosurgeon assured me that this was a symptom of my overgrown brain, but I don't think that's of any consolation to anyone in this house.

9. I am a terrible writer. Terrible. In college I had to take a remedial writing class. I think it's an issue of attention span. Somewhere around the 3rd page, I just forget what I'm doing and string a lot of big words together until the spell/grammar checker stops making the red/green squiggly lines.

8. I love to bake. Pies, cakes, cookies, anything. I looooove to bake. My waistline does not share the same love.

7. I didn't see snow in person until I was 12 years old. Until then I truly believed that hail was like a mini-snowstorm.

6. I was informed of the fallacy of Santa Claus at 6 years of age when my older sister told me in a fit of mean-ness. I've never ever seen my father so angry in my life.

5. I am not a morning person. In fact, I'm not even really a mid-morning person. I'm an afternoon person. I don't have trouble getting up most days, in fact, on weekends I never sleep in later than 8 or 9, but I don't like to talk to any other humans until around noon.

4. I'm a grade weenie. I will do anything to get ahead in a class. It's not a terribly endearing quality, but I have always been excessively studious. The Fiance tells me all the time that it's good that we didn't go to college together because I'd have hated him. Or maybe it's that he'd have hated me. Either way, life would not be the way it is now.

3. I had my tonsils taken out when I was 20 and I didn't take any prescription pain medication after, save for the Demerol I got immediately post-op which caused an anaphylactic reaction. I do not recommend trying to control post-surgical pain, even just tonsillectomy pain, with children's tylenol. I wonder why I've gotten 12 different lectures on taking whatever pain meds are offered me by the doctor after neurosurgery. People are so weird.

2. I can't wait to have children. It's not that I want them now, but I'm in love with the idea of having them someday. It makes me feel so extraordinarily priviledged to realize that I get to bring a life into the world. And while I know that children make messes, smells and noise, I know that someday I'm going to love being a mother.

1. One of my biggest fears in life is of throwing up. Yes, I know how it sounds, but it's true. I have had more anxiety attacks than I care to think about over the idea of throwing up. As you can imagine, that's not at all making the anxiety about the neurosurgery any less. If I make it out of this ordeal without vomiting, I think I'm going to write a book about how amazing I am.

And on that breathtaking picture, I'm done. See you tomorrow, for something with the number 9 in it. Probably 9 ways I'm being raped by physics.

1 comments:

Lanny said...

I had to laugh at the last one! Army calls me a hurl-a-phobe. I have a seriously unhealthy fear of throwing up.

And in a really, really sick way, it's nice to know there's somebody else out there with the fear!