A whole new world...

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I realized today just how different California is than New Orleans. See, in California, it's not that teenagers don't drink, because they do (I didn't, I was literally the picture of a perfect teenager and I'm not even being sarcastic), but they don't do it publicly or noticeably. Parties happen, beer is consumed, however, almost never is it something that people talk about and in California, you can't go in a bar unless you're 21 and if you show a fake ID, they keep it.

Here in New Orleans I get to hear from students about the bars they go to (of which I wrote down the names of so that I would never ever go to them) and the fact that they're making jello shots at home right now as we're speaking. And it's not like I was snooping on a conversation, one stopped to tell me about the molds she had for the jello shots.

A big part of me wants to be appalled and the other just kinda wishes that I'd grown up here.

1 comments:

Anna in IL said...

I lived in south Louisiana for four years, and you really should have to show your passport to get in. It's very different than anywhere else in the U.S., in my opinion.