One month

Saturday, October 27, 2007

One month from today, I'll be having brain surgery. Everyone together now...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Jeeeeeezum. Holy Hell. [Insert every other exasperated expression here].

And perhaps more scarily, in one day less than one month my sister will be here. If you live in the New Orleans area and you feel a sudden rush of cold, it's because the ice queen hath entered the area and trust me, no one will ever be the same again.


(And for those interested in the details of the condition and surgery that I'll be having, here are a few websites about it.
http://www.conquerchiari.org/
http://www.conquerchiari.org/
http://www.asap.org/chiari-malformation.html
Also, if you go to ABC's website you can still view last week's Extreme Home Makeover, which is all about a family with Chiari.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, have you considered just flat out telling your sister that you do not want her to come? You are an adult, not a child, so just tell her that you do not want her there. You could even tell her that you will be telling the staff at the hospital that you will not allow her in to see you. You can do that. You are having your dad there, and your fiance, and who needs someone who is so unsupportive? You have not mentioned much about your fiance, what does he think about the surgery, your sister, etc?

Alicia

kim-d said...

Yeah, the thought is more than just a little daunting, isn't it? I truly think you are doing the right thing, though. However, with that being said, I would have respected whatever decision you made. Because there are just some instances in which the ONLY option should be that of supportive friend/parent/sib/whatever. This is def one of those times, so...

I agree with Alicia about The Sister. Now, I reallize that this could very well just be the way you two "are" with each other--in which case, while you don't necessarily love it, there is some comfort in what is familiar with her. However, if that ISN'T the case...yeah, I'd for sure make sure she didn't get to do what SHE wanted to do if it was contrary to my wishes. Just my opinion. And, by the way, please help me to understand why it is you have anything at all to do with her. What are her redeeming qualities; the things that override her alleged awful-ness? I'm really curious...