A glimpse into my future...

Thursday, August 9, 2007

I haven't talked much about life back in NOLA, and that's most because it's been a little crazy. The Fiance is now in the stage in medical school where he's in the hospital doing all the hands-on training, and through no fault of his, he had a crazy schedule. He has to be at the hospital at between 5:30 and 6 each morning, which means he gets up at 4:30 in the morning. I love him, but I do not get up to see him off. Somedays he's done moderately early (like by 5), others he's there until 7ish. And then, naturally, given the time he gets up, he's going to bed early. Then there's nights like tonight where he's on call and it really doesn't make any sense for him to come home at all, so he'll be at the hospital until after I leave for work tomorrow morning.

I feel like I'm getting a glimpse into what our future holds, and perhaps surprisingly, I'm pretty pleased. No, I don't enjoy him being gone or going to bed at 9:30, but I'm seeing a new side of us that I really like. See, here's the thing- his hours? they blow, pretty hard. My work right now? blows pretty hard too. Not seeing him at all like today? blows super hard. But, all that said, we're making it work. And yea, it's early and I'm being idyllic, but hell, that's a good thing.

Today, knowing that I wasn't going to get to see him, he called and we arranged dinner together at the hospital. It didn't work out like we'd planned because he had to scrub in for surgery, but I got to see his pretty blue eyes for 10 minutes and quickly talk about the highs and lows of the day and it was nice. And he made a big point to stress that tomorrow is a night for just us, and it just warms my heart to know that even though his life is currently a mess of surgery, vaginas (did I mention he's on OB right now?), rounds, etc., he's making time for us. It's just something that I didn't expect from him. Not that I didn't think he was capable, because he's pretty incredible, but it was so very sensitive and kind that it just made my otherwise crappy day, pretty darn good. If only he had a good cure for headaches, then there'd be no questions at all (joking of course...mostly).

Being married to a brilliant doctor won't be easy and it won't always be a ton of fun, but it is something we will make work because it's worth it. Because we're worth it.

1 comments:

kim said...

Awww...yes, you will make it work, and although it will not always be the optimum (in fact, it probably hardly ever will be that), you'll do the best you can do. Bill and I worked completely opposite shifts up until the last four years of our marriage, when I was able to switch to the afternoon/evening shift to match his. Those were the happiest years of my life, but all of the ones on opposite shifts but making it work anyway weren't much less awesome! Funny that you mentioned feeling lonely, because I do, too. In fact, the title of my new post, my second for the day is "High Highs and Low Lows"--only I don't even know why, except that I slept too long this afternoon and never really fully woke up and now it's almost time to go to bed. I hate when I do that. And, as for the sympathy UTI, turns out to just be a plain old...well, you know, the other kind of "I" which goes away with OTC meds--already two days into it and all is well. So, anyway...yeah, wasn't it cool that I won? I went on and on about it a little more in my latest...

Before I go, let me just say I'm glad you're talking to your sis, but I also am glad that you are not going to let anybody "steamroll" you. Especially about things that are none of anybody else's business. Do ya feel me? Good for you...