Once upon a time there was this dress...

Sunday, July 22, 2007

I'm going to start by telling you all the things I can't tell you about the wedding dress, just so those of you who might be reading to find that out can quit while you're ahead.

-First and foremost, I won't tell you what it looks like. I'm not doing this to be obnoxious or sly or anything like that, though that's fun too. The Fiance reads this (hi honey!) and he doesn't want to know anything about it, so I don't want to put it out there and force him to read around it.
-I will also not be disclosing the price. Rest assured that it costs a lot and it's changing all my careful budgeting.
-I will not be listing the size. Though that was the first thing my grandma asked me when she saw it, mostly because at almost 80 she's oddly obsessed with everyone's weight.

So the story...

My mom and I had 3 different bridal stores to go look at (one that my step-sister bought her dress from, one my sister bought her dress from and one major chain we thought we should look into). We went to the first store, where my step-sister found her dress and we began looking at dresses. The consultant we worked with was actually quite nice, none too obnoxious and she gave us room to breathe. We picked out like 15 dresses to try on, but this was our first day of dress looking, so it was really just seeing the dress style I liked and figuring out what looks good on me (trust me, there are a large number of dresses that definitely do not). Out of the 15 I picked, 11 were the exact same designer, so apparently, that was the style I liked.

We got down to like 3 dresses left to try on and I had a "no" pile with about 7 dresses and a "maybe" pile with about 4 dresses. The 3rd to last and 2nd to last were both maybes until I put on the last one. We kept it until last because my mom didn't like it, but when we got it on, well, it was one of those moments. It was THE dress. It fit like a glove (okay, a glove that's a little big in the bust) and it just worked. It was IT. There was a woman standing there, a mother of another girl trying on dresses, and she looked up at me and said, "that dress looks like it was made for you." And I wouldn't mention that except that she was one of three different people who said that, and none of them were trying to sell me the dress, they were all spectators.

Of course, when we looked at the price tag we realized why it was the perfect dress. It was, naturally, the most expensive one I tried on. But in the realm of importance, that extra cost is so small compared to how incredibly happy it makes me. Even so we did go to the other 2 stores to see if we could find a dress we liked as much, if not better, for less money (or alternately, like my sister did, find the dress cheaper elsewhere). I tried on 5 or 10 more dresses, but there was just no question, I had found my dress and all I was doing was wasting my time putting on other ones I didn't like as well.

I'll be ordering THE dress next weekend, and we'll be doing the first fitting at Christmastime (to deal with the boobs, the length and the bustle-ing). I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. Hopefully that satiates some curiosity, though I know it's not everything that could be shared. Yes, I do have pictures, but for now, you'll just have to imagine what it could possibly look like. Not that there are a lot of options or anything...

2 comments:

kim said...

Okay, ya little shit, be that way...HAHAHAHA! I thought, JUST MAYBE, because I won't be at your wedding to see your dress in person, you would tell me about it (at kdanielson@earthlink.net, if need be), but APPARENTLY NOT. Ya little shit!

No, really...I understand completely why you want to keep this wonderful-ness to yourself for a while. And, also, I truly do believe that everything about your wedding should be as YOU want it, including NOT giving details that you don't want to give. Because, although it would me happy to know what your dress looks like, it makes me happier that you're getting the dress of your dreams. And that it can be altered to fit your small boobies. HAHAHA!

Final thought? Budget be damned; it's the PERFECT dress. YAY!

Anonymous said...

That is exactly how my youngest daughter found her dress. Her sister saw it and asked her to add it to her pile "just to try on" - once she got it on we all knew that it was the one. I'm so glad you found the perfect dress - now the rest of the plans can proceed.
Janet in Iowa