To my Mom on Mother's Day

Sunday, May 13, 2007

It's Mother's Day and my Mom is in New York on vacation, which I guess is actually better than her being home. It means that she's not celebrating with my sister but without me, and since she's coming to New Orleans next week, technically I get to see her first for a change (nee-ner nee-ner nee-ner)

My Mom has always been one of my best friends. We lived alone together for 3 years, and the incredibly rough road that we both travelled brought us very close together. When I got to high school age, we both got very busy. She had a new job and worked at our church and I had school, sports and church, but we always set aside one night a week for us. On Thursday nights we took turns cooking, though it was almost always the same wonderfully simple, yet great meal (p.s. she's a great cook, don't judge her on what I'm about to say), Mac and Cheese (from the nice blue box) and Caesar Salad from a bag. It was always GOOD. After we cooked dinner we'd sit down, talk about our days/weeks and then we'd watch "Must See TV" and escape the realities of our lives for a while. Those nights rank among some of the best in my life.

She was a great parent, but by the time it was just her and me I was pretty much a straight arrow (I was!). I didn't break rules (okay, I did once and her reaction was to LAUGH because she thought it was hilarious) because I was afraid to disappoint her, and I didn't lie to her. I'd like to think that deep down I made her job as a parent easy, but I think it was probably just balancing it all out since I was a hellacious child. She and I shared a lot of tough times. We lived with my grandparents for almost a year after she and my dad split up and we were forced to sell our house to send my (perfect) sister to college. And let me tell you, that year? well it was interesting. I loved my grandmother dearly, but if we'd stayed there maybe a week longer, I'm not sure that I'd be sane enough to type this today.

My mom and I also shared a lot of moments I'm sure she'd rather I didn't share (like the time we walked in an hour late for church, completely oblivious to the time change) and a lot of just really good times. The number of games of yahtzee we've played, the number of episodes of Gilmore Girls we've watched and the number of nice long walks and good conversations that have been had are uncountable (she loves me so much that she won't point out how horribly grammatically incorrect that sentence was). The sheer amount of time that she and I have spent talking, chatting and laughing on the yellow couch in our "entry room" is amazing. I won't lie and say that we haven't had our share of arguments, because boy have we, but she's supported every decision I've made, whether she agreed with it or not.

I love my mother for who she is and for everything she's given me. Without her, I wouldn't have been able to go to college, let alone survive it. She gave me the ability to spread my wings and live a different life than perhaps either of us had imagined. Leaving her last August was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. The look on her face when I got into the car is something I'll never be able to erase from my mind, and the advice she gave me, through big gulping sobs and tears is something that I'll carry with me forever. I still talk to her almost every day, and I scarcely make a big decision without checking with her first. She's my mom, and she's always gone above and beyond the call of duty in everything.

So what I'm getting at (besides the obvious fact that I am one big sap now) is that on this Mother's Day, I hope my mother knows just how much I love her and how much I appreciate everything she's done for me. She shaped me into the person I am today, and I only hope that when I grow up and have children, that I may be half the mother, role model, and friend that she was for me.

Happy Mother's Day Mom.

2 comments:

kim said...

Awwww...

pam said...

Happy Mothers Day...and technically Kim she is a mommy to a large broadsided grey cat lol. But not sure Katie wants to admit that.