On being 24...and infested...

Saturday, May 19, 2007

You know, people always ask you how it feels to be a different age and my standard reply is "pretty much the same as it felt to be (one year younger than how old I am now)." But this year, I actually feel older. There's something about knowing that I've been driving for 8 years now that makes me feel like a real adult. There's something about knowing that I had the big double-digits birthday 14 years ago that makes me feel...old. Well not old, but grown. It feels mostly good. What didn't feel good was the fact that every other teacher in our building got a cake and small to-do on their birthday or on the Friday before and literally everyone forgot mine. Yes, in case you wondered, it stings...a lot.

In other news, our house is infested with humongous cockroaches. They fly. And I'm pretty sure they sing and tap dance too. They creep me out, yes, but if one crawls in my room in the middle of the night, I'd prefer it just eat me alive. Wednesday night there was shreaking coming from all rooms of the house. First the Fiance. He was standing on the bed, waving around a roll of wrapping paper. Then, when he managed to knock it onto the floor, he grabbed the laser pointer to try to get the cat to attack it. The cat did attack the laser, but was completely oblivious to the cockroach. Then, because cockroaches are funny like that, one crawled up onto his bedside table, where he then did the big sweeping off of the surface and tried several times to drop a book on it. It's kind of a miracle anything in that room isn't broken into a hundred small pieces. But, I know that he was trying to save us all from a long and painful death by staring contest with the roach, so I'm just grateful for his show of bravery (hi honey!).

Then there was a scream from the housemate's room. She said she literally tripped over one (honestly, they're so big, I wouldn't put it past them) and then on her way back to bed, one flew into her bed. I had visions of her burning her contract on that bed, but so far she's decided just to sleep with the lights on indefinitely, which is a-okay with me. As long as she does it quietly, she can sleep in a cockroach proof net if she wants. After she killed the bed-cockroach, one crawled out from behind her bookcase, so she really had the trifecta of roaches, and possibly a small stroke.

All I've really garnered from this experience is that I much prefer cockroaches when they're not waking me up in the middle of the night. Wait, no, I really prefer other human beings when they don't wake me up in the middle of the night (even though I acknowledge both their extreme fear of roaches and they're attempts to protect my life). Cockroaches I'm kind of generally ambivalent about.

1 comments:

kim said...

Okay, sweetie, it took me a whole day to be able to comment on your infested-ness. Ewwwwww! How on earth can you be ambivalent about cockroaches? For that, you have my eternal admiration...or, I will forever think you're nuts! I can take the various and sundry occasional bug/spider. But roaches? Well, there are just so many of them. And they're so nasty. Come to think of it, I don't like any bug/spider that decides to bring its family and friends along with it. What will be done about this, anyway? IS there even anything that can be done about it, since you're right there in the thick of cockroach country?

Years ago, when the airline I worked for merged with Southern Airways, all of the planes for their fleet had to be Orkin-ized, BIG-TIME! And then on a weekly basis for all the planes that flew into New Orleans and various and sundry other places in the south. Pilots were bringing in WRAPPED salads from their meal trays, with dead cockroaches resting on the salads, underneath the wrapping! Since then, I always associate cockroaches with MSY! Enough about the cockroaches. Ewwww....

How was your birthday? I was so excited to be the first one to wish you Happy Birthday over on CaringBridge! This is going to be a fantastic year for you; I just know it!