New Orleans Style

Monday, May 28, 2007

Our cat is a hunter. A mean, ferocious, hunter. About 3 or 4 months ago she was downstairs doing her hunting thing and we heard her make that victorious trip up the stairs (it sounds vaguely reminiscent of a herd of elephants thumping up the stairs). She ran into The Fiance's room, where we were sitting on the bed playing video games (yea, we're that kind of dorks), and she dropped her catch and rubbed against us triumphantly. So we prepared to dispose of whatever carcass she brought, only we genuintely couldn't figure out what it was. It looked a little like a cat turd, or a hair ball, and then eventually, we realized it had arms. And legs. And a tail. It was a lizard. By far the deadest lizard there has ever been (in relaying this story to my sister on the phone she thought I said "bed wizard" instead of dead lizard, which, I think is an ironically good description). It was so dead it hardly even resembled a lizard at all, but I think that about 2 weeks before that point, it was one. Yep, our cat is a hunter.

About 3 days ago, I spotted a lizard right off our front porch. I did my usual run up and try to spook it away so that we didn't step on it (and because really, I enjoy freaking them out a little), but it didn't move. The Fiance said it had been there the day before and surely it was dead. We got home a few hours later and the lizard was there, but it had turned 1/4 of a turn to the left. The next morning, it had turned another quarter. And this ridiculously slow movement has continued. Yesterday I caught it in action and saw it's foot move, so it's not dead, it's just moving REALLY REALLY slowly. Our new housemate suggested that we put it out of it's misery, which I hadn't even really considered. It doesn't seem to be in pain, I think it's just officially adopted the sedentary lifestyle of a true New Orleanian. That's a lizard I can get behind.

Excuse me while I eat my apple fritter on the couch. The wedding diet doesn't begin until I leave the state...

0 comments: